Encrypting Time Machine HD?

Reaction score
Re; 2017 MacBook Pro OS 10.13.3

Many thanks to Forum members for explaining the procedure for encrypting USB flash drives. Here's a new question:

Is it possible to encrypt my Time Machine external HD? It is a G Drive mini 750 GB, and it has about 350 GB of data on it.

Would I follow the same procedure as encrypting a USB drive? (download the entire contents of the external HD to the laptop, password encrypt the HD, then transfer the data back from the laptop). Is there any other option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you go into Time Machine Preferences, click on Select Disk, you will have a check box to Encrypt Drive. That should be all you need to do, then wait for it to finish encrypting the drive.

OP
G
Reaction score
G-Drive Mini.jpeg
Thank you for your response! I assume I would encrypt the G-Drive Mini under "Available Disks".

I am curious about the "Other Airport Time Capsule" option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I don't want to muddy the waters; but if you Right Click on any mounted External Hard Drive (EHD) - including the Time Machine EHD - one of the options is "Encrypt name-of-drive".

I've used this several times on EHDs NOT used for Time Machine I have to say. Just BU Drives.

Is this the same thing? Or is it only protecting the EHD with a password? It doesn't take long whatever it is doing. A 500GB EHD, 60% full, took about 30 minutes.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't want to muddy the waters; but if you Right Click on any mounted External Hard Drive (EHD) - including the Time Machine EHD - one of the options is "Encrypt name-of-drive".

Now that's handy for those who need it, but wouldn't it be even nicer if the same ease of encryption could be applied to just a folder??? That option doesn't seem to exist on my iMac. Drive volume only.

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
wouldn't it be even nicer if the same ease of encryption could be applied to just a folder

Yes Patrick, it would. The only way I know of achieving anything close to that - and not really what you are asking - is to create a PDF of a file (via Cmd + P to print menu and then click on the "PDF" arrowhead) and from there you can create a PDF which has options for encryption with a PW.

In my earlier post, I was just making the point that you don't have to go through a complicated rigmarole to encrypt an EHD; even if it already contains lots of data.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my earlier post, I was just making the point that you don't have to go through a complicated rigmarole to encrypt an EHD; even if it already contains lots of data.

And an excellent useful simple point it was Ian.

I'm surprised that Apple's Finder Help mentions nothing about 'encryption'!!! No real surprise I guess, and thanks for the reminder of the option.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.