Lost internal SSD gigs

OP
R
Reaction score
It made perfect sense! In fact, second time around I found a whole lot of eset log files and deleted them. I've gone from a low of 2.8 gigs free to 209 gigs free. I try to store as many apps as I can to an external SSD (just drag the icon from external to the Launchpad in the Dock to have them show up in Launchpad).

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Brilliant. Game, set & match for not having AV apps - over and above their lack of effectiveness, of course.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've gone from a low of 2.8 gigs free to 209 gigs free. I try to store as many apps as I can to an external SSD…

If you want to save even more room on that SSD's expensive real estate if I dare say so, you can use FAF to get rid of any surplus languages you don't need and probably save at least 4-6 GB of space.
Use FAF to search on
Name ends with: .lproj
+ Is a Folder
on whatever volume/drive you select.

Just DO NOT DELETE any ".lproj" (extension) folders that begin with "en." or "English." or any within most Adobe or Microsoft applications. Doing so will prevent any updates from working in the future.

That's only a suggestion IF you feel you really need to save the space they take up. :D

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't delete the language folders at all. Both Adobe and Microsoft will not only balk at the missing English folders but will also refuse to update or even work without the other language folders in place. Been there, done that and wound having to reinstall. ;D

Besides, Patrick get a kick-back when he recommends using Find Any File (FAF). :)

OP
R
Reaction score
If you want to save even more room on that SSD's expensive real estate if I dare say so, you can use FAF to get rid of any surplus languages you don't need and probably save at least 4-6 GB of space.
Use FAF to search on
Name ends with: .lproj
+ Is a Folder
on whatever volume/drive you select.

Just DO NOT DELETE any ".lproj" (extension) folders that begin with "en." or "English." or any within most Adobe or Microsoft applications. Doing so will prevent any updates from working in the future.

That's only a suggestion IF you feel you really need to save the space they take up. :D

- Patrick
======

Don't delete the language folders at all. Both Adobe and Microsoft will not only balk at the missing English folders but will also refuse to update or even work without the other language folders in place. Been there, done that and wound having to reinstall. ;D

Besides, Patrick get a kick-back when he recommends using Find Any File (FAF). :)

Lol, Patrick saved me all kinds of headaches yesterday, but yeah, I'm happy with 208 gigs free, especially with all the apps I have installed on my external drive. I think it's time to do a new CCC backup though. I also wiped my TM Backup yesterday after everything was good and started new. I may be wrong, but I swear TM restores files that I've deleted before. I guess I should mention that my internal is just a 250 gig drive.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I may be wrong, but I swear TM restores files that I've deleted before

Not wrong at all. That's it's main function.

Of course it can restore all your data and settings to a new Mac or a new or formatted drive within your current Mac.

Ian

PS How about a thumbs up to Patrick who's been so supportive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't delete the language folders at all. Both Adobe and Microsoft will not only balk at the missing English folders but will also refuse to update or even work without the other language folders in place.

I did make reference to that above Charlie, and also especially warned NOT TO DELETE ANY "en" or "English" .lprog named folders[/B] — period!!! Doing so on those files can crash a Mac or make it not even bootable regardless of what language a user is using.

PS: WARNING: Some Mac "cleaner" utilities can and will do just that if one isn't super careful and some don't even have any control over as to which languages are deleted or not.

- Patrick
======

OP
R
Reaction score
Not wrong at all. That's it's main function.

Of course it can restore all your data and settings to a new Mac or a new or formatted drive within your current Mac.

Ian

Isn't that counterproductive? If I delete something, I don't want it coming back. Sure, accidents happen but usually don't (at least for me). If I hadn't deleted my TM Backup yesterday to start over, I wonder if ESET would have been back on my MBP today? lol
Speaking of "thumbs up", why don't I see it in this forum? I'm use to XDA (when it comes to phones/tablets) I'm strictly Android. I have my bright and shiny Galaxy S9+ right by my side!!:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't that counterproductive? If I delete something, I don't want it coming back. Sure, accidents happen but usually don't (at least for me).

Oh Ramer!!! Oh dear oh dear oh dear… :\ I sure hope you don't get a chance to resent saying that and maybe touch some old wood for luck just in case.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
… …

Ian

Thanks Ian, and speaking of "restoration", it was this time last year I ended up in hospital Mar 12/14 for a suspected intestine blockage, again, plus some other serious heart problems etc. that developed there, and got home April 3 and received some nice well-wishing thoughts from you and your concern.
So thanks for all that.

- Patrick
======

OP
R
Reaction score
Oh Ramer!!! Oh dear oh dear oh dear… :\ I sure hope you don't get a chance to resent saying that and maybe touch some old wood for luck just in case.

- Patrick
======
Me too! I have my fresh clone finished and put away for safekeeping. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Me too! I have my fresh clone finished and put away for safekeeping. ;)

Good, but only if you actually connected it and tried booting from it to make sure it actually works!!!

Sorry to harp… :\

- Patrick
======

OP
R
Reaction score
Good, but only if you actually connected it and tried booting from it to make sure it actually works!!!

Sorry to harp… :\

- Patrick
======

Excellent suggestion (which I did). I've been a Windows user for too many decades and I don't like surprises!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.