Finished installing Win 10 via Boot Camp, but can't switch back to Mac os

Reaction score
I am on a mac mini running High Sierra with a PC keyboard. After installing win 10 using boot camp the system automatically booted to windows which was pretty nice. The problem is it won't switch back to mac holding the option key (PC Kbd Left Alt) at boot. I tried holding (separately) the left alt, left ctrl, and the Windows key during boot, but it always goes straight to windows, never to a boot menu.

How can I get it to switch?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you're in Windows 10, open the Boot Camp Control Panel app and select macOS as your startup boot item. The PC keyboard is likely the problem because it's acting like a Windows keyboard when in Windows and you're trying to reboot to macOS. Buy a real Mac wired keyboard. Only $49 if you can still find one. :)

OP
P
Reaction score
I originally replied that I couldn't find the boot camp app, but I just found it in the taskbar notification area. I tried it and it works... Thank you!

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, that's great. Now buy a real Mac keyboard. ;D

OP
P
Reaction score
OK, that's great. Now buy a real Mac keyboard. ;D

LOL... I have one of those little apple bluetooth keyboards. Paired it with my Mac Mini and everything now works as it should! I also ordered one of those full size wired keyboards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.