Disk Utility Repair

Reaction score
My understanding is that you are supposed to hold down Command+R and ReStart. However, when I do this in OS 10.13.3, it brings me to my regular log in window.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Start then Command R.

OP
M
Reaction score
Start then Command R.

That's what I did, Harry. My MBP has no start-up chime, so I just hit ReStart then Command-R. After that, I tried ReStart then waited a little longer before hitting Command-R.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No. I saw my normal log-in window.

Then something is not right; either with the way you're attempting to enter Recovery or a hardware error. My machine likewise does not make a startup sound and I can enter Recovery by holding down Command + R as soon as it restarts.

Are you sure your Mac has a Recovery Partition? If there is no Recovery Partition (perhaps from using SuperDuper to do a clone copy) then you will not be able to enter Recovery.

OP
M
Reaction score
Then something is not right; either with the way you're attempting to enter Recovery or a hardware error. My machine likewise does not make a startup sound and I can enter Recovery by holding down Command + R as soon as it restarts.

Are you sure your Mac has a Recovery Partition? If there is no Recovery Partition (perhaps from using SuperDuper to do a clone copy) then you will not be able to enter Recovery.

I haven't changed anything since I bought the unit new in December. I'll try a Recovery again right now.

OP
M
Reaction score
Didn't work.

Just as soon as the Apple symbol was about to appear, I held down Command-R. All I got was my regular log-in window.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have to hold down Command + R as soon as the machine starts not when the Apple symbol appears. It's too late then.

Try once more and if it fails you may have to resort booting the machine from an external hard drive so we can have a look at the drive with Disk Utility. We can't really see anything notable by using Disk Utility when the machine is booted from the hard drive which is why we would need to use an external bootable source.

OP
M
Reaction score
Problem solved. My error was that was trying to Recover using the Command-R from my Apple WiFi keyboard. This did not work. However, when I attempted the Recovery using the keyboard on the MBP, everything went just fine.

Thanks to all for your help with this. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.