Macbook Pro A1286 On/Off Switch not working?

rip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 A1226 6GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD, iPhone 6, iPhone 7 Plus
My 2011 A1286 seems to not be booting when I go to turn it on.
The Macbook does not have a battery currently however I have read online an 85W charger will work with it if it does not have a battery.
I have tried a 85W and 60W charger with basically no signs of life. The charger shows that it is reciving power to the system however when I go to turn on the system it does not turn on, no fans and no HDD activity.
The track pad is in rough shape however I do not think it will effect anything.
Could this be a on switch issue or a Logicboard issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's probably because you have no battery in the machine. However, it could also be the DC input board or the logic board itself. I would try putting a battery in the machine before doing any further trouble shooting. You can buy an inexpensive battery on eBay for your MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My 2011 A1286 seems to not be booting when I go to turn it on.

When was the last time it was used or did power up??

And anything don't to it since that time??

I believe that that MBPro model should normally power up using only the power adapter.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe that that MBPro model should normally power up using only the power adapter.

Do we know that for sure? Certain model MacBook Pro machines will not start up without a battery but I'm not familiar with which ones are in that category.

OP
rip

rip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Around a month or two ago, Since ive taken out the battery I have not turned it on or tried to power it on.
The logicboard seems to be in pristine condition.

OP
rip

rip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems to be 50/50 for turning on without a battery for this model. It may be work just getting my battery back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do we know that for sure? Certain model MacBook Pro machines will not start up without a battery but I'm not familiar with which ones are in that category.

Not 100% and I don't know if there's an official list as to which Apple laptop models are affected.

I do know that at least 2009 MacBooks / Pro models and later models use the main battery for PRAM and SMC memory retention rather than having a separate PRAM battery for this purpose, and there is a capacitor to provide power in the event the main battery has been disconnect for short periods of time.

The "disconnect for short periods of time" part won't apply to the OP's case of course: :\
Around a month or two ago, Since ive taken out the battery I have not turned it on or tried to power it on.

- Patrick
======

OP
rip

rip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not 100% and I don't know if there's an official list as to which Apple laptop models are affected.

I do know that at least 2009 MacBooks / Pro models and later models use the main battery for PRAM and SMC memory retention rather than having a separate PRAM battery for this purpose, and there is a capacitor to provide power in the event the main battery has been disconnect for short periods of time.

The "disconnect for short periods of time" part won't apply to the OP's case of course: :\

- Patrick
======

It is the 2.3 GHz Core i7 (I7-2820QM) Early 2011 version if this helps at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is the 2.3 GHz Core i7 (I7-2820QM) Early 2011 version if this helps at all.

That MBPro will certainly not have any PRAM battery and the capacitor won't help preserving any system preferences.

But does it do anything if pressing and holding the option key while powering it up???

- Patrick
======

OP
rip

rip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That MBPro will certainly not have any PRAM battery and the capacitor won't help preserving any system preferences.

But does it do anything if pressing and holding the option key while powering it up???

- Patrick
======

No signs of life when trying that hence why I thought the keyboard and on/off switch could be the issue. when I press the on switch it does go in a little more than the average.

OP
rip

rip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

- Patrick
======

An update, I ordered a battery to test the system and it turned on. It seems the battery was the problem all along. The system seems very slow however this could be a totally different problem. Thanks you for all your advice and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An update, I ordered a battery to test the system and it turned on.

Good to hear that it now at least boots with a new battery, and I must say that the old battery must have been well past any kaput stage and had to be completely FUBARed. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.