Important Do Not Update Your Mac Until You Read This

Reaction score
Dear everyone please do read this before running the latest series of Apple Updates. If you follow my steps it will prevent alot of heart ache.

Earlier today i installed the latest series of Apple updates the ones released on the 9th i believe. Once they had finished installing the machine stated it needed to restart which i did, on booting up it brought me to the log on screen and then froze....i thought this was funny, shut down and restarted, this time it took me to the blue bar load screen and died.

I tried a further 10 times to get the machine going only to face lockups at various points. I rang Apple tech support and they ran me through some tried and tested techniques but nothing fixed it. In a panic i decided to run the machine in safe mode, which took a surprising amount of time, some 5 minutes before allowing me in.

I removed all of the startup items, and restarted. Again nothing worked. Booted again into safe mode this time i removed the only startup file from
the libary folder's startup items. This folder was Adobe Version Cue CS2, i dragged it onto my desktop and attempted a reboot. This time the computer worked first time.

I rang back Apple and explained the problem, they took the information off me, charged me £35.00 for access to a phone support person and said they would flag this up as a problem. I have now found several cases of people having problems specifically with the same model as mine a Intel Dual Core Imac. The only common demoninator is having Adobe Version cue in the startup folder.

So please guys and gals if you are installing the updates make sure you remove the version cue folder first otherwise the machine will fail to boot.

Hopefully this information will prove useful and help anyone shelling out cash to Apple support who cannot fix it- who knows i might complain and get the money back, since i am helping the community.

Update www.macfixit.com now have someone else with exactly the same problem and solution......

Cheers Matt :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
Thanks for the heads up. I have stopped installing version cue cause it's a PITA. I run CS2 via windows and it's screaming fast.

S

Santos

I installed my updates yesterday, before I read this, and I have no problems. But thanks for the heads up!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea sorry mine has been fine since the update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Texasmeat said:
Thanks for the heads up. I have stopped installing version cue cause it's a PITA. I run CS2 via windows and it's screaming fast.

Yeah, bootup on a PC is slow but it runs way fast. Version Cue bugs me so I don't use it. I'm very selective when it comes to Adobe products now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum, 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of Ram
I just installed the new update, clicked restart on the message prompt, it restarted and booted up fine.

Reaction score
Yeah, updates worked fine for me, too. That's kinda weird that it just froze like that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Did you try all the standard troubleshooting steps before you called? I'd personally clear my NVRAM if I were you.

OP
S
Reaction score
I cleared the NVRam and ran through all of the mutliple key startups. I was rang back on Saturday by Apple who have now added this issue to the documentation of the updates apparently though i have not checked.

I have heard of another 14 users in the vacinity who have all suffered form the same problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ran mine yesterday and all is well. The linked report says most issues have been seen on Intel macs, so I am safe I suppose...

I

in00b

Doh! i have the exact same problem on my macbook pro... version cue and all [which i never use anyways]. any fixes? are you having to format your drive?!?!?! this blows...

J

JunMacTech

Discerptor said:
Did you try all the standard troubleshooting steps before you called? I'd personally clear my NVRAM if I were you.

Interesting, I just attended Mac OS X Support Essentials v10.4 and was told that Cmd-Opt-N-V doesnt clean NVRAM anymore, the only thing it gets from that is Cmd-V which runs startup in verbose mode. How are you clearing the NVRAM?

Thanks

I

in00b

Fixed my problem. if you're having the same problems, restarting in safe mode and removing the version cue folder from the startup folder does the trick [as stated in other threads here].

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.