How can I delete photos from my iphone 4

Reaction score
I have synced the iPhone in iTunes with Photos un-checked and for photos to be deleted but although they seem to go, when I look at photos on the phone they all restore again. I want the space to load in extra music.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

Do you have iCloud Photo Library activated on your iPhone? (Found in Settings > Photos > iCloud Photo Library).

If so, then any photos on iCloud will repopulate your iPhone.

If you don't use iCloud and iCloud Photo Library is switched off, then post back, please.

There are other ways to delete your photos from the iPhone and we can explore these if appropriate.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note... the iOS Photos app just like the macOS Photos app does not actually remove the Photos when you delete them. Instead it keeps them in limbo until you permenantly remove them. Not sure if that's your problem but worth checking to see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What version of iOS is on your iPhone 4?

OP
C
Reaction score
I am using IOS 10.3.3

If my photos are held in limbo does that mean that I need to empty the trash on my iMac following the sync operation.
That would be the same as deleating stuff from a USB stick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Then the oldest iPhone it must be is an iPhone 5, since the iPhone 4 couldn’t run anything higher than iOS 7. Whic version of iTunes are you using?

On the iPhone, in Photos, there should be a Recently Deleted folder which also needs to be emptied, in order to clear the space on your iPhone. With the iPhone connected, in iTunes, did you uncheck which photos you wanted to sync?

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry, I looked on my other phone. The iPhone 4 is using IOS 7.1.2 and iTunes on my iMac iTunes 12.7.3.46. I tried syncing with the photos unticked and a second time with only 1 album with 2 photos, both gave the same result. I then tried Restoring the phone from backup, this seemed to do the trick and I was able to install my music tracks.
This seems to be a bit "Brute Force" but it worked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.