2010 MacBook Pro random crashes CPU failure?

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Mc book pro that has been randomly crashing - started crashing at boot time and now happening anytime. Discovered the SSD was failing and finally became corrupt and then unreadable (failed).

Replaced the SSD (840 EVo) it with a new 960mEvo and initially used a Sierra time machine back up all directories checked & optimised with Disk Warrior and also ran virus checker with no issues.

No apparent causes for the crash which can occur anytime - even without apps running.

I tried doing a clean install of Sierra but it failed “ unable to install on this computer”.
Fixed the MacBook time issue which can cause install issues using terminal and again tried a clean install of Sierra with the same result.

Suggestions welcome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Two things.

1. Whenever you replace an SSD replace the SATA cable.

2. Samsung EVO's do not play nice with Macs because of backwards incompatability between 6Gb/ps and 3Gb/ps speeds. Have a read of this thread from ifixit.com, the one down a fair way by 'Dan' with the lobster icon on this problem:-

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/252412/Problems+with+Samsung+850+EVO+SSD

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion - I will replace the cable as suggested by one author. This Mac had worked fine for the previous 3 years with the Samsung 512 840 so I don’t think there is a compatibility issue. The logs show the same error each time the MacBook crashes - CPU register error.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The logs show the same error each time the MacBook crashes - CPU register error.

That's your machine telling you that you have data corruption. Sure sounds like an incompatibility issue. Try swapping out that SATA cable first to see if that makes a difference.

OP
W
Reaction score
That's your machine telling you that you have data corruption. Sure sounds like an incompatibility issue. Try swapping out that SATA cable first to see if that makes a difference.

Hi everyone after many hours (no days) I finally traced the problem to a faulty Samsung RAM module.
I discovered the fault by running Memtest from the terminal.
The crashes were not related to the SSD Disk Drive cable.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Good news! It is 8 years old though so make sure you have a reliable backup. It cant last forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It can last forever, it won’t work forever, :Smirk:.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.