2011 iMac requiring password to access MacOS Recov

Reaction score
I have a 2011 27" iMac that experienced a failed hard drive. I followed the iFixIt guide to open it and replaced it with an SSD. Being a new hard drive when I boot the computer it shows a flashing grey folder with a question mark (?) in it – due to no OS being installed.
I therefore followed https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201314 to enter MacOS Recovery Mode (Command (⌘) and R). Which requests a password:

mgSYUeG.jpg

https://imgur.com/mgSYUeG

I've also tried Internet Recovery (Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R) and same deal.

Being a brand new hard drive I'm surprised by this – I assume it's a BIOS password or something like that? I don't seem to know the password, computer was purchased used some time ago. Is there anything I can do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I'm afraid Bob is correct as that appears to be a firmware password request. Whoever you purchased the computer from may have set a firmware password which will preclude someone from swapping out the hard drive or reinstalling macOS without knowing the password. It it is a firmware password, you may have to ask Apple to remove it. Apple requires proof of ownership before they will remove it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks all, the local Apple Authorised Technicians were able to assist after some ID verification checks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad you got it resolved. We normally do not recommend setting up a firmware password unless there is a good reason to do so. If there is some data on your computer that is sensitive, such as financial information, then we suggest using FileVault with a strong password and backup of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.