DISPLAY challenges

Reaction score
Hello, had great success with the forum so far, certainly appreciate any input here.

I have 2 jobs, one of which requires me to use a Dell Lattitude E5450 which has USB 3 ports, ethernet, VGA. I also have my newly tuned 2011 21.5 iMac that sits atop my desk. I have heard it said it is possible to use this iMac as a display of another computer. My question is, is this possible? Also, if so, considering i have fire wire in, thunderbolt in, and USBS on the back of my iMac, what configuration would work? If all of that works, how difficult would it be to toggle back and forth? I would also be willing to install a port replicator with the following outputs :
1x Network (RJ-45),
3x Display Out (1x VGA, 1x DVI, 1x Display Port),
1x eSATA/USB2.0 Port,
1x Audio Out (Speakers/Headphones),
1x Audio In (Microphone/Line In),
1x E/Port Monitor Stand Connector.

The desired end would be simply the ability to work from my iMac as my "station" and work on both computers with little difficulty moving back and forth.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The feature you are talking about is called Target Display Mode and is ONLY supported between Macs. You cannot use an iMac as a receiver to a Windows-based PC/Laptop.

Read more about this feature here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.