Loading photos to iCloud fromiPhoto

Reaction score
My main computer is a Macbook Pro 13 inch mid 2012, on which I am on High Sierra (10.13.3). My photos are on Photos, backed up in iCloud (not iCloud Drive).

I have started re-using my earlier Macbook – 13 inches mid 2007 - on which I am on Lion (10.7.5). I have 200 or so photos on iPhoto on this mid 2007 Macbook. I would like to add them to the photos on iCloud - but have not found a way to do this.

Of course, I can access iCloud from both computers.

The easiest solution would be to convert iPhoto to Photos, from where it would be straightforward to add my images to iCloud. Unfortunately, my mid 2007 Macbook lacks the hardware to support the latest versions of Mac OS X (I understand I need at least Yosemite for Photos), so I cannot do this. I am, it seems, stuck on Lion.

How can I add the photos from iPhoto from Lion on the mid 2007 Macbook to the photos already on iCloud? I have paid to upgrade my storage to 50 GB, so storage capacity is not an issue.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Grab a USB stick, export the photos from iPhoto to it, plug that USB stick into the 2012 MBP and import to Photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Or an Ethernet cable should make them talk to each other. Or, if you already have a Time machine backup you can use that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Unfortunately, my mid 2007 Macbook lacks the hardware to support the latest versions of Mac OS X (I understand I need at least Yosemite for Photos), so I cannot do this. I am, it seems, stuck on Lion.

I think you'll find that "old 2007 Macbook" contains various "File Sharing" options via its System Prefs > File Sharing and probably including wireless Bluetooth option.

Then just share away. But the previous suggestions are often easier and quicker to get things transferred. ;)

- Patrick
======

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm first following up the idea of transferring via an external device and I started to load iPhoto Library (which is in "Pictures" in my Finder drop-down list) to my LaCie hard-drive. So it started loading but quickly stopped with the message "The operation can't be completed because an item is being modified". An item being modified suggests that I'm in the middle of editing an image. This is not so. It is some years since I edited any of these photos and I maybe ( I don't remember) even left them all unedited.

Any ideas, please, what the message means when it refers to an item being "modified"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you have iPhoto open, when you tried to copy it to the external drive? If so, close iPhoto and try again. If not, restart the Mac and try again, make sure iPhoto is not set up to start when you log in to your account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.