• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Recording a video stream.....

Reaction score
MBP late 2013 15" Retina.

Is there any way I can record a video streaming from the net, so that I can watch it later, a sort of continuous screen shot??

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you going to be present when the recording is about to start? If so, you should be able to use QuickTime Player X to do a screen recording. These directions will give you an idea how to do it. They are for Lion but the process is the same for more recent versions of the OS. The only real difference is that the triangle you must click on is right next to the record button in the newer versions.

Once you have set up QuickTime Player X and started the screen recording, you can then start the stream that you want to record. There are other software packages out there that will record the screen and some of them may give you the option of starting a recording on a schedule.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If so, you should be able to use QuickTime Player X to do a screen recording.
Would that record any audio from the video as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It is also worth looking at Video Downliader extensions for your browser. I’m using Video Download Helper on Firefox. It has a companion app which will download almost any internet media as MP4. Start a video, click the toolbar icon and it does the rest.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would that record any audio from the video as well?
I didn't think to check that. I've always had sound but that was because I was doing voiceovers.

I just tried screen recording while playing back a YouTube video. If I set the sound source in QuickTime Player X to in'llternal speakers I get sound. I'll have to do some more experiments to see if the quality is OK. I'll post back with more tomorrow.

OP
C
Reaction score
Just tried it with Quick Time and it worked just fine. However, the created file is rather large, works out at about 26Gb/hour recording!! Have to free up some disc space me thinks.

Took a while to get it to work, had to do a couple of computer re sets as it kept hanging up but worked eventually. I guess it's trying to do quite a lot of things at the same time, receiving the stream via WiFi, playing it and then recording it.

Anyway, good to know it can work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just tried it with Quick Time and it worked just fine. However, the created file is rather large, works out at about 26Gb/hour recording!! Have to free up some disc space me thinks.
… … …

I don't do that stuff, but from what I've read and for such large files. it's best to use a dedicated storage drive for saving just and only such files.

Just saying and a suggestion…

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Took a while to get it to work, had to do a couple of computer re sets as it kept hanging up but worked eventually. I guess it's trying to do quite a lot of things at the same time, receiving the stream via WiFi, playing it and then recording it.

I'll try to do some experimentation this weekend. It should be possible to get a smaller file for a one hour video. Can you post a link to something similar to what you are trying to record?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that case there are several web browser extensions and other pieces of software that can do that more conveniently than a QuickTime Player screen video. I currently use the free application ClipGrab but there are many others. Another benefit is that the saved clips are usually nowhere near the sizes you are seeing.

If you find that file sizes are still too big they can usually be loaded into QuickTime Player and converted to a smaller format.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yep, as stated in my previous post. I’m not sure what extensions are available for Safari but there are plenty for the big three, the one I previously mentioned offers size options and formats for saving the file too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.