PC Does Not Recognize Mac on Network

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey a bit of success here!!

I never get the prompt to log into the mac, so I did some more reading. I found an article that said there are 2 ways to connect. One is via explorer, which is what I had been doing. The other way is to type \\ip-address from the windows run prompt. So I tried this and the dialog box popped up asking for the userid and password.

I entered them and I'm in!!

However when I run my app I still get the "Windows cannot access..." error. Baby steps..

OP
S
Reaction score
Well I am able to function by accessing the mac from the pc's "start" button command line. But I still cannot access it from windows explorer. This causes me to do things differently, but fortunately I can drag files into my app until I can figure out the rest. Obviously this is some kind of windows issue.

I just wanted to jump back in and thank u guys for helping me in sorting this out. As usual (in my experience) the mac just "works", while the windows machine is being a bit of a struggle.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
The only difference between your situation and mine, besides being on a Windows server network, is I run Windows 10 and High Sierra and you are using W7 and El Capitan. I did share when I had W7 and Sierra too. Maybe something is different.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
Lisa when u were using Win7, do you recall being able to access the mac from windows explorer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was trying to remember. I do have a computer I am working on now for work. I will do an experiment and try seeing if I can share from the W7 machine to my Mac Pro. I have my logon being used on both - I am the SysAdmin so I have it available on all the work computers for when (not if) they mess up their computer. I will post back with what I find out.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay - did map a network drive from my Mac Pro to a W7. One difference I found was I could not do it using the recommended name on the share page that appears under Computer Name which worked fine on W10. On the W7 Map a Network drive page I did not put in the name manually but clicked browse and selected my Mac Pro and the drive I wanted. That worked and I had access.

I am running High Sierra on my Mac Pro and I don't have any idea if that makes a difference.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
I had not done it before, but from explorer I used Tools > Map network drive - and I was able to assign the mac a drive letter from the pc. Neither of these ways is like it was linking to the old mac, but they work.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you finally found a way that worked.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.