FileVault: saving new files

Reaction score
My SSD on my MacMini is file-vaulted (not sure of a proper verb!)

Does this mean that NEW files that I save to it are also encrypted at some stage?

Ta.

Allen.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes, automatically. You don't have to do anything different.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Allen

Just a couple of things about FileVault (FV) if I may:

1. Never lose your password or recovery key - not even Apple can get your data back.

2. FV is only protective when your computer is turned off.

I guess you knew that already:)

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't stress Ian's point #1 enough.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll go one step further than my esteemed fellow forum members and ask you this.....

Is your Mini in any danger of being stolen? Does anyone else have unauthorized access to your machine? If you answered no to both questions, then I have to ask... why are you using FileVault? I highly recommend using FileVault for a portable machine (MacBook, MacBook Pro, etc) but for a desktop machine that remains at home, it's overkill. Of course if your Mini is used in your workplace where others may have access, then yes, use FileVault.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, I don’t know what Texas is like but in NW London the chances of getting your Mac knicked from your home are reasonable.

Overkill? Well, all I have to do is put in my long, complicated password, which I’d do anyway to open my hard disc.

But I’d like to hear more of your reasons for not favouring Filevault.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Allen

I am not going to try and dissuade you from using FileVault (FV). You must have read all about it and given the matter due consideration.

I think I know from your previous posts that you have a Backup (BU) strategy?

As you very clearly value your data, bear in mind that Time Machine and Cloned Backups are occasioned when your Mac is up and running. These BUs are not encrypted even although you have FV.

You may wish to consider whether you want to encrypt the External Hard Drives that contain your BUs in whatever form they may be.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
Fair enough Ian. I've emailed Dave Nanian (guy who wrote SuperSuper, and who always replies personally to queries!), for his opinion on SuperDuper/FileVault2, as in the old days you couldn't even run SuperDuper with the original FileVault, and now you can.

Anyway, I'll post his comments when he replies.

(Does anyone know what 'gise' is on about?)

Allen.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fair enough Ian. I've emailed Dave Nanian (guy who wrote SuperSuper, and who always replies personally to queries!), for his opinion on SuperDuper/FileVault2, as in the old days you couldn't even run SuperDuper with the original FileVault, and now you can.

Allen.

Thanks, Allen. Very helpful and useful. I await the reply. Things move on so quickly these days, that what was not even thought of a few years ago is now, not only doable, but standardised.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Allen.

A spammer that's been banned.

OP
A
Reaction score
No Ian, things haven't moved on that quickly after all. Here is Dave Nanian's reply:

"The backup is not encrypted unless you take steps to do that. If you want to encrypt the backup (something I generally would not suggest, since it makes you significantly less safe for the more common problem - needing to restore), you can:

- Start up from the backup
- Reinstall the OS (or use Recovery Partition Creator from http://musings.silvertooth.us) to recreate a recovery volume
- Turn on encryption for the backup
- Start back up from the main drive

At that point, subsequent Smart Updates will be encrypted.
--
Dave Nanian
Shirt Pocket"

Which is pretty much what you said.

I think two things emerge: that I should think about overkill in my security precautions! And that my practice of taking my external hard drive (where I keep my back-up) with me when I go from home is a good one, since it is never going to be encrypted. Also, Dave's link to that Recovery Partition creator is worth nothing, as these later El Capitans don't have built-in recovery partitions (why?)

Live and learn (hopefully).

Allen.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Allen

Thanks for your feedback, clarity and honesty.

It's a difficult area. What with FV, APFS and HFS+, life gets more complicated all the time.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.