Restored IphoneX without Itunes?

Reaction score
Is this possible? i forgot the passcode on my new iphone x. I had apple id but without icloud ( i dont use thr cloud) i also never synched to Itunes. After i forgot the passcode i followed the instructions to restore with Itunes but sonce my PC was very outdated itunes failed to properly install on it. My coworker took it in his office with my phone and told me he will reser it using third party app. I dont know what that means. He brought it back with the laptop in 20 minutes with the white HELLO screen. I asked him what he had done to make it work he said its a secret. Everything was erased. I noticed on my laptop itunes was still unable to run so i started to wonder what he used. He is not telling me and i started to get paranoid. What is a third party app and how can it reinstall my ios? Is it safe. From what i read in apple only Itunes can erase and reinstall the ios. He didnt used it because it wasnt running on my outdated version, he also didn't use other. laptop because there wasnt any in his office. I am worried he may have installed some cracked ios though some pirate app? Is this possible do i have reason to worry?

Now i checked the browsing and download history it's been erased for the day, on my laptop? I will sue this guy if he did something to my new device.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
He didn't need a laptop to do this. Any computer, desktop or laptop with a current version of iTunes could be used to erase the phone. That's probably the easiest way to fix the problem.

Third-party software simply means that the software was not something that came from you or Apple. It doesn't necessarily mean that the software was pirated or otherwise doing something bad.

OP
S
Reaction score
Slydude, yes i know, i was using my Dell windows but i am using outdated version of Winsows 8. I couldn't install Itunes because the windows is way to outdated, or atleast thats what i think because the installation of Itunes ended with Error. He said he will restore it using third party app and he used thr same laptop. But he didn't used itunes because it wasn't able to install. I believe he used another app to erase the device, but according to what i read only apple service can reinstall the IOS on my device, so it has to be itunes. But again Itunes wasnt installed. i dont know what he used and he refuses to say. I told him i am serious he dont even want to speak with me anymore. What an idiot. I think he did something maliscious. But Apple will never allow that to happen right? If he didn't use Itunes from where he downloaded latest IOS version to install after the device was erased?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He might have done an "over the air" installation once the phone was erased. Assuming he had access to a wireless network it's an easy process. It doesn't require iTunes. See here. If you are really concerned about wha\t he might have done, erase the phone yourself and repeat the "over the air" procedure yourself.

Not trying to sow discord here but I'd be a bit ticked off if someone weren't willing to disclose exactly what was done and how. Even if they weren't up to something.

OP
S
Reaction score
He might have done an "over the air" installation once the phone was erased. Assuming he had access to a wireless network it's an easy process. It doesn't require iTunes. See here. If you are really concerned about wha\t he might have done, erase the phone yourself and repeat the "over the air" procedure yourself.

Not trying to sow discord here but I'd be a bit ticked off if someone weren't willing to disclose exactly what was done and how. Even if they weren't up to something.

Exactly, but what can i do. This guy is type of weirdo unless i chain him in my basment and beat him up to tell what he did i see no way of of him telling. He considers himself "tech magician" and is way over his head of who he really is. I will beat him up if i realize he did something, thats for sure, but everything runs normally and he did a favour to me, but this cocky behaivour not telling me what he did is making me angry. I just allowed him to because i didnt thought anything can happen, but with him being so mysterious i am bit worried. I plan to when i get back home use Itunes on my home pc and restore it normaly from threre, will it do the trick?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It should do the trick. I suspect that he used the "over the air" procedure I linked to in the article above but restioring using iTunes will clear things up and ease your mind as well.

OP
S
Reaction score
It should do the trick. I suspect that he used the "over the air" procedure I linked to in the article above but restioring using iTunes will clear things up and ease your mind as well.

Okey, i pressed him and he said he used Itunes. He reinstalled Itunes and it worked for him. I dont know why it showed error when i tried to use it. I now see the itunes is running normaly on that same laptop. He said he wanst aware of any other method. Thanks Slydude for your help, i still may restore it again though Itunes on my own just for peace of mind as you suggested, i hope it doesnt damage the device being restored so often :) Thanks for your quick replies !

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That shouldn't cause any damage at all. Glad you fo0und out what was going on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.