• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Our web host Informa have more issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I belong to Windows Secrets which for those of you who do not know is a huge forum plus they publish a email newsletter that has article written by very knowledgeable people and also links to hot topics currently on the forum. If I am remembering correctly Informa, which hosts the Windows Secret site, also host Mac-Forums, this site.

I received an email from them today and well here is what it said:

Hello to subscribers –

To keep you apprised of what's going on: The IT department is still working to restore affected sites from an unprecedented hardware failure. While the text of Windows Secrets articles is back, the images are not. Since so much of our content depends on screen grabs, diagrams and other images, the IT department is still working to restore the images.

We don’t have a timeline for restoration of the images.

You’ll receive double editions of the newsletter after the IT department has restored the site.

We’ll continue to keep you informed of future developments.

The site is currently down.

Sounds familiar doesn't it? To me it sounds like Informa is not keeping up with equipment updating nor are they backing up content. We might prove to be very wise to have decided to move to a new site. We might also want to think about doing this sooner rather than later.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually Lisa.... if you had been reading our posts on Facebook, you would have learned of this about a week ago. LOL. Hey, we know your busy, but this is old news for those of us who are keeping the membership up to date on Facebook. It's not only Windows Secrets that is kaput, but also several of the other servers owned by Informa.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I thought I had been keeping up but Facebook and I do not get along - Not a fan! Thanks for letting me know.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Right now Facebook is the best way we can keep the membership informed in the event we suddenly go down. Facebook allows closed groups and we can limit those who join the group. I'm not a big fan of Facebook either but for now it's a good backup. We are still working on the new site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Me too as not being a fan of Farsebook, but if that is what it takes and for a VERY short period then how would I, if I decide to, join this exclusive group please? I would like to keep informed..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
John, if you just want to stay in touch, PM slydude and give him your email. He is adding up a list of folks who want to know when the new site kicks off and to keep in touch should this one suddenly go away. Facebook has a few comments, some things we've sorted out there, but it is pretty quiet, just waiting for the new site, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Ta Jake. SD has had my email right from the start, but I just wondered if I was missing anything? Nosy old git, that's me O:)O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.