• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Unix Executable files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
About 14 years back I burnt a DVD from my Microsoft machine of about an hour of video. This was well before I joined the world of Macs. I have just tried to play the DVD on my iMac running Yosemite. It will not work and at times the on;y way to get out of it trying to read the DVD is to turn the machine off by the power button on the back.

This is a video of the antics of the model glider guiders in the RC club I belong to and I desperately want to be able both play it and copy it. Is there any program around that will read this so that I can do these copies and get ti to play on the Mac? Preferably a freebe? I want to make a few copies for the guys in the club.

The only thing I can get is the audio playing on 'DVD Player'. No picture!

I have even got a mate of mine to copy it onto a SD card on his M/soft machine to see if that would work. No chance, it didn't work.

Any ideas please?

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
My mate has now copies it onto an SD card, using his Microsaft jobbie, and now at least I can dump it down to my iMac. So I have now downloaded both Handbreak to my MacBook Pro and Videolan to my iMac. I will have a look to see how they work when I get a bit of time. This house moving lark is a right pain in the donkey!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Handbrake, is a video converter, and VLC, is a video player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
About 14 years back I burnt a DVD from my Microsoft machine of about an hour of video.

What format are the video files in on the DVD???

- Patrick
======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The files are labeled as below. Please excuse me but I have no real idea what they are. If I can hit it I can mend it, but anything to do with this fairy type software and I'm lost!

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_1.VOB

They then carry on with the VTS files with a combination of the 3 .BUP/IFO/VOB.

I wonder if this shows it better than my ramblings?

tps://flic.kr/p/GuWk3w (outdated link removed)

P.S. I wish that I could get the hang of posting pictures from 'flickr' ?

Ta for the heads up on the 2 programmes Bob. I wondered why I couldn't find a conversion option? Now where's me hammer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A quick web search gives some alternative applications th consider for doing some conversions:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=JIuRWtLOBsLe8Aenz674BQ

And this hit is interesting:
VOB (Video Object) is the container format in DVD-Video media. VOB can contain digital video, digital audio, subtitles, DVD menus and navigation contents multiplexed together into a stream form. Files in VOB format may be encrypted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOB

Some hit to consider:
Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate for Mac
https://www.wondershare.net/ad/vide...NntbxK-2uyQsFCTb-0FQhku2FhLBOyfhoCEVwQAvD_BwE

And maybe even some oldies:
How to read vob, ufo, or bup DVD files?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2005980

and lots more from the list of hits… ;D

I thought the QuickTime Pro.app could work with such files, if it still works. But maybe I'm mistaken… :[

Maybe something here…???
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=SI-RWt33Me3e8Afe0oHIDw

Good luck.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
MPEG Streamclip used to be my go to program for this but it doesn't seem to play nice with the last several versions of the OS. It needs a codec that is not installed in the current QuickTime Player X.Handbrake should do the job nicely though once you get past the interface. This should give you a quick overview of the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPEG Streamclip used to be my go to program for this but it doesn't seem to play nice with the last several versions of the OS. It needs a codec that is not installed in the current QuickTime Player X

Would the Perian codecs help in this case or with some other applications??

Even if it's no longer supported, it seems to still work, but I don't know about Sierra or HS support.

It's still available here:
https://www.perian.org

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like all the CD/DVD conversion stuff was a lot easier some years ago with earlier OS X versions.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I can tell Perian is no longer supported under Sierra and High Sierra.In fact, it has been sketchy since OS X 10.8. QuickTime Player X broke a lot of the older codecs because it is in some ways fundamentally different structurally from previous versions. That is what has broken MPEG Streamclip for the. The MPEG Playback Component doesn't seem to work under the last several OS versions. There was a script that was supposed to fix that but I haven't gotten it to work in recent versions of the OS.

Handbrake weill convert those VOB files rather easily and there are a number of other easy to use apps that should do the job. Some are even free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I can tell Perian is no longer supported under Sierra and High Sierra.In fact, it has been sketchy since OS X 10.8.

OK, but here's an interesting comment about it:
Scion777Sep 25, 2016+3
You can't double-click the Pane to install like before in Sierra; however, you can drag the 'Perian.component' file from Yosemite into the Library\QuickTime folder, and Perian will both work AND show up in the System Preferences for 10.12 Sierra.
(XiphQT.component can also be installed on Sierra in this way - .ogg files become useful again for QT 7 Pro.)
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/22923/perian

Hmmm… but I seldom even use Sierra and don't seem to do any of this sort of work in Mavericks, but maybe of use to the OP???

EDIT:
And this…
Important Note: Perian is no longer under development and does not work with QuickTime 10 or above. However, it still works with QuickTime 7.6.6.
https://perian.en.softonic.com/mac#app-softonic-review

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll give that a try. much of what Perian did has been built into the current QuickTime Player X if I am not mistaken. The problem with MPEG Streamclip isn't Perian support though. MPEG Streamclip was dependent upon a QuickTime MPEG Playback component to manage .VOB files. I've seen reports that it worked under 10.7. with a script from their site but I've never gotten it to work well for me. I'd love to get it working agin though. It was a decent editor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are some interesting, but rather older, comments comparing the differences, and I'd have to go looking if anything has changed:

Q: what is the difference between quicktime 7 pro and quicktime x
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3232131

- Patrick
======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stone me !!!

Talk about step in a puddle and finish up in a lake!

There is a LOAD of info in that lot folks and with my one brain cell on turbo charge it's going to take some sorting through? Is there an easy route through it or am I asking to jump from puddle to lake to ocean?

Any simple route please?:Blushing::Blushing::Blushing:

This limey is feeling a bit of a lemon and blushing like a blood orange :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any simple route please?

This limey is feeling a bit of a lemon and blushing like a blood orange

Maybe you should concentrate on your unpacking and moving in to your new digs first, and then take a break at your local pub and think it all over, over a few pints of course and maybe a nice snack. ;D

- Patrick
======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What a good idea!!

Sub zero and a COLD East wind this morning and I am off out to throw my gliders off a nearby hill :Cool::Cool::Confused: I will be overlooking the house that I used to live in before our French adventure, just 300 foot below. Just trying to keep them in the air takes my brain cell off of everything else ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.