Wanted G4 Mac Mini

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm looking for a G4 mac mini but being on a fixed income I can't afford the prices I'm seeing, Would anyone here have one they'd been willing to donate? I'll pay shipping

Gary

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What prices have you been seeing & where have you been looking?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the info. That's what I'm seeing too.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Trying to find a G4 Mac Mini that someone would be willing to donate to you is going to be difficult. Keep your eyes open for garage sales and yard sales in your local area. It's warmer weather time now and folks start getting rid of their excess stuff with various sales. You would be surprised what you can pick up at those sales and sometimes for much less than the postage it would cost for someone to ship something to you.

OP
G
Reaction score
Trying to find a G4 Mac Mini that someone would be willing to donate to you is going to be difficult. Keep your eyes open for garage sales and yard sales in your local area. It's warmer weather time now and folks start getting rid of their excess stuff with various sales. You would be surprised what you can pick up at those sales and sometimes for much less than the postage it would cost for someone to ship something to you.

Thanks my friend I hadn't thought about garage or yard sales. My thoughts were the age and fact that the G4 is limited to 10.5 Leopard and 1gig mem gave me a good shot at a donation

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Gary it is a rule of thumb folks tend to consider their computers, even older models such as you are seeking, as much, much more valuable than the market can bear. They may well ask $100 on eBay and such, but getting it is another story.

Maybe there is a MUG, Macintosh User Group, nearby who could help out?

OP
G
Reaction score
My thoughts were more along someone having a G4 model then shelved it after buying a new one. Oh well never hurts to ask

Thanks I'll check out the MUGs

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well Gary it is a rule of thumb folks tend to consider their computers, even older models such as you are seeking, as much, much more valuable than the market can bear. They may well ask $100 on eBay and such, but getting it is another story.

Maybe there is a MUG, Macintosh User Group, nearby who could help out?

My thoughts were more along someone having a G4 model then shelved it after buying a new one. Oh well never hurts to ask

Thanks I'll check out the MUGs

Gary

And to reinforce Harry's rule of thumb, it's often those same MUG members who are the worst offenders, with the very odd exception in my experience.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And to reinforce Harry's rule of thumb, it's often those same MUG members who are the worst offenders, with the very odd exception in my experience.

Hey Patrick... you still belong to that MUG near your home? And have you ever heard again from that infamous former member who shall remain unnamed?

OP
G
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the suggestions they helped more then you know. I found a machine and its on its way to me.

thanks again

Gary

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that's good news. Let us know when you get it and how well it works. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chscag
Hey Patrick... you still belong to that MUG near your home? And have you ever heard again from that infamous former member who shall remain unnamed?

No Charlie, they basically forced me out in the later part of 2012 with the help of some of his clique members and to the amazement of many good members.

Not a good place to be when the executive themselves become ineffective and I don't miss it at all and the politics and daggers were getting bad at work as well around the same time.

At least I still have my rare Appreciation of my Dedication to their club diploma. Only six had ever been handed out since the club was founded.

And I have no idea what or where the unmentionable character is up to these days, but I do know a lot of good members left the club after my 2012 departure, and mainly due to you know who.

But it seems the club is still active. I'm just not an active member, which has been a nice change actually. :Cool:

- Patrick
======

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi again

The mini arrived and is working like a champ. 1.42GHz PPC running 10.4.11

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again

The mini arrived and is working like a champ. 1.42GHz PPC running 10.4.11

Gary

Good to hear Gary, even if it did take over a month to arrive.
06-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Hey guys thanks for the suggestions they helped more then you know. I found a machine and its on its way to me.

thanks again

Gary

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@chscag

No Charlie, they basically forced me out in the later part of 2012 with the help of some of his clique members and to the amazement of many good members.

Not a good place to be when the executive themselves become ineffective and I don't miss it at all and the politics and daggers were getting bad at work as well around the same time.

At least I still have my rare Appreciation of my Dedication to their club diploma. Only six had ever been handed out since the club was founded.

And I have no idea what or where the unmentionable character is up to these days, but I do know a lot of good members left the club after my 2012 departure, and mainly due to you know who.

But it seems the club is still active. I'm just not an active member, which has been a nice change actually. :Cool:

- Patrick
======

The "Club" is still apparently very active according to their website with nameless as programme (spelt differently) director.

Ian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The "Club" is still apparently very active according to their website with nameless as programme (spelt differently) director.

Ian

Oh my! Poor club! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh my! Poor club! :D Grin

Yes, and from what I've heard, he can take most of the credit for even a lot more good, old time users leaving as well, but some new members keep it going it seems.

I don't know if he ever became a Canadian citizen, but he reminds some of us of a certain recent US President that may have even been his mentor. ;D

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.