A problem

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have been having a few troubles with my iMac as of late and would like some advice .The first problem, is well, the music video on YouTube, through Safari, sometimes, the music video pauses, while the music continues and the image is frozen.
The other problem I have is sometimes, and this has nothing to do with YouTube, sometimes the whole screen goes black. And I have to go down on the menu and press a button on the menu on the bottom for it go away.
The other problem I have is, on the program of Notes, and this happened only once, the notes came up with a warning saying the program Notes had a problem. I don't remember the exact words but it said there is an option to send the report to Apple. So I did press the button for a report to be sent to Apple. I was told it could be that the Notes program froze. I didn't hear back regarding this issue with Notes, and never had the problem come up again.
Thank you for your help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you ever upgrade the operating system from what it came with, for mexample Sierra to High Sierra or similar?

For mine I never follow the upgrade path,mbut do an erase and clean install of each operating system as it is released. I believe there is less troubles doing clean installs as upgrades simply vtake any problems into the new operating systems. New operating systems do not fix problem s

OP
A
Reaction score
Did you ever upgrade the operating system from what it came with, for mexample Sierra to High Sierra or similar?

For mine I never follow the upgrade path,mbut do an erase and clean install of each operating system as it is released. I believe there is less troubles doing clean installs as upgrades simply vtake any problems into the new operating systems. New operating systems do not fix problem s

I do upgrade the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
More information would be helpful. Like what model & year iMac you have, how full is the main drive on the iMac, and what is the current version of OS it is running.

Also if you have anymore details of any problems you are having.

Lisa

OP
A
Reaction score
More information would be helpful. Like what model & year iMac you have, how full is the main drive on the iMac, and what is the current version of OS it is running.

Also if you have anymore details of any problems you are having.

Lisa
Hi Lisa. I have a 3.8Ghz model intel Core i5 with it being quad-core. 8 GB RAM (that I intend on upgrading to 16GB). It is the iMac (retina 5K 27inch, 2017.) I have the macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.2. There is another upgrade to this but haven't upgraded it just yet. The iMac is a 2.12 TB Fusion Drive where it is written, 2.07TB available of 2.11 TB.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello everybody. I have been having a few troubles with my iMac as of late and would like some advice .The first problem, is well, the music video on YouTube, through Safari, sometimes, the music video pauses, while the music continues and the image is frozen.
The other problem I have is sometimes, and this has nothing to do with YouTube, sometimes the whole screen goes black. And I have to go down on the menu and press a button on the menu on the bottom for it go away.

The video issues with YouTube could be from a slow internet connection or potential graphic card issues on your iMac. I am not sure what you mean by "sometimes the whole screen goes black. And I have to go down on the menu and press a button on the menu on the bottom for it go away." - What menu and what button? If the whole screen is black how can you see a menu or button? I am a bit confused.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Also, don’t expect a reply from Apple. They get crash reports sent to them all the time. It just goes into their database.

OP
A
Reaction score
The video issues with YouTube could be from a slow internet connection or potential graphic card issues on your iMac. I am not sure what you mean by "sometimes the whole screen goes black. And I have to go down on the menu and press a button on the menu on the bottom for it go away." - What menu and what button? If the whole screen is black how can you see a menu or button? I am a bit confused.

Lisa
I don't know about there being a potential graphic card issue with my iMac. That sounds ominous. But my internet connection is ok, I think - I don't think that's the issue. What I meant by that is that, and this happens quite often, the whole screen, would be black, and the colour black would be everywhere in the screen. Well, when that happens, I go down with my mouse, on the menu on the bottom of the iMac, press a button or program on the menu and then it goes away. The only thing visible when the screen goes entirely black, is the menu at the bottom, if I put my mouse to that area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is possible if there is nothing on your desktop and you set the background to black then all you would have is the menu bar at the bottom. But if that is not the case then
what apps/programs are you running when this happens? When you click on the menu bar does any apps you were running still appear and work correctly. The fact everything goes black but the menu bar is still visible is puzzling.

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That really is weird, usually if the display goes black that means no display and that would include the menu bar at the bottom ( it's called the Dock) you may have a cursor but that's all. If you still have the Dock but a black screen that would seem to indicate that you still have a display. Do you have a tool bar at the top? I'm guessing not. If not are you using full screen display? If so you may not see it until you put your mouse cursor on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What I meant by that is that, and this happens quite often, the whole screen, would be black,

Any chance your Mac is just going to sleep or being invoked to do so??

Maybe check your System Preferences > Energy Saver settings, or some privacy utility you might be using.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If his Mac were going into sleep mode, the dock would not be visible so that can't be it. It is strange that the screen turns black but leaves the dock visible. He needs to answer the question that Lisa asked above. I'm also puzzled by his description of what's happening.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now that I've thought about this a bit longer...... I wonder is he's accidentally invoking the "Mission Control.app"?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It sounds more like sleep mode. Especially if there is a Hot Corner set to invoke it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds more like sleep mode. Especially if there is a Hot Corner set to invoke it.

Can't be that because the dock is visible when the screen blacks out. Here's what he stated:

OP
A
Reaction score
It is possible if there is nothing on your desktop and you set the background to black then all you would have is the menu bar at the bottom. But if that is not the case then
what apps/programs are you running when this happens? When you click on the menu bar does any apps you were running still appear and work correctly. The fact everything goes black but the menu bar is still visible is puzzling.

Lisa
Thats not the case, but when I press the button on the menu, it goes away, Im not sure why its happening, I think It happens when I press the full screen of a video on YouTube, and then it goes black.But I don't remember entirely. I intend on taking my iMac to the store I got it from, so I'll talk to them about it,

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok I looked at that. Ok, what happens when the screen goes entirely black is it happens during a Youtube video, when I put the video to full-screen. It happened just earlier - happens very often. Also, sometimes, the music video would pause but the music would continue. I haven't had any other problems or issues with Notes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Can't be that because the dock is visible when the screen blacks out. Here's what he stated:

True, and I guess Rod and I sorta missed that, or maybe, just maybe, the description isn't exactly what is being described as happening as we are understanding things. Maybe…??? :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.