A problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Ok, what happens when the screen goes entirely black is it happens during a Youtube video, when I put the video to full-screen. It happened just earlier - happens very often. Also, sometimes, the music video would pause but the music would continue.

I think Lisa was close with her black Desktop and poor network speed suggestion. And maybe the OP is just getting that black window I sometimes see with some youtube type stuff.

In my case, I think the black is part of a sign that it's not available in my country, but no sound would be playing either.

@AskingAvA

BTW AskingAvA : What application is open and running when the "black screen" thing happens?

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
I am using Safari/ It happens sometimes when Im watching YouTube videos. Usually when I press the button for full screen. The black desktop Lisa spoke of does not apply with me at all. That part is normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
A
Reaction score
Well there you go, Patrick. That seems to be the answer to all this. I wonder how trustworthy that website is though. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there you go, Patrick. That seems to be the answer to all this. I wonder how trustworthy that website is though. thanks.

Why would you question how trustworthy that website is??

His AdsBlock software works well and he supports the Mac World users well.

Why not try some of the suggestions for a solution and possible fix for your problem rather than questioning its trustworthiness???

And you do have a current working backup I trust???

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
Why would you question how trustworthy that website is??

His AdsBlock software works well and he supports the Mac World users well.

Why not try some of the suggestions for a solution and possible fix for your problem rather than questioning its trustworthiness???

And you do have a current working backup I trust???

- Patrick
======
ok Patrick, your right. Im going to go ahead and follow the directions of said website. As for backing the storage up, of the iMac, Ive yet to do so. Thanks again.

OP
A
Reaction score
I can't actually fix the problem because it asks me to right click the safari, icon. But my mouse doesn't have a right click button - its the same mouse that came with the iMac, alongside a keyboard. Thing is, when I click it, it just opens up safari, as a browser, and cannot seem to access its settings. Cannot right click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
As you probably found, CMD + click is also Right click. You might also be able to enable right-click in System Preferences/Mouse under Point & Click to put a check in the Secondary Click box. You can then test the right click to see if that worked for you. It's nice to have a right-click option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't actually fix the problem because it asks me to right click the safari, icon. But my mouse doesn't have a right click button - its the same mouse that came with the iMac, alongside a keyboard. Thing is, when I click it, it just opens up safari, as a browser, and cannot seem to access its settings. Cannot right click.

Try going to your System Preferences (from under the apple icon top left) then click the Mouse pref to open it.

See if it's set for both left and right buttons to use "Primary click" I think that's what Apple calls it and if so, change the right button to "Secondary click" which is what is normally called right-click.

Don't ask me why Apple sets their mouse settings that way or why they they name them differently.

PS: Actual fact and reason — Steve Jobs did not like or tolerate any two button mouse and the software developers in his time there tried to hide the fact they had created a two button mouse and many Macs shipped with the "default" one button mouse setting.

EDIT: Opps, Jake beat me it seems due to my very slow typing!!! Sorry. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
Well Hi everybody. Just to let people know, I followed the instructions of that website and no longer have those problems. If anyone had these symptoms I describe, just go ahead and do what I did.
Thanx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well Hi everybody. Just to let people know, I followed the instructions of that website and no longer have those problems. If anyone had these symptoms I describe, just go ahead and do what I did.
Thanx.

Well, it sounds like the instructions from one of the links I posted actually worked and I gather you now also have a "right-clickable" working mouse.

Using that function will open a lot of new options for you if and when you use it for various right-clicks on different things. You might be quite amazed when using it. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, it sounds like the instructions from one of the links I posted actually worked and I gather you now also have a "right-clickable" working mouse.

Using that function will open a lot of new options for you if and when you use it for various right-clicks on different things. You might be quite amazed when using it. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======
Hi Patrick. Yeap spot on. I implemented the right-clickable mouse after I sorted out the problem though, - had fixed the problem without it, just followed the other instructions. I wonder as you say, how different the right-clickable mouse it will be from a windows computer, which I previously used. thanks, be peaceful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More information would be helpful. Like what model & year iMac you have, how full is the main drive on the iMac, and what is the current version of OS it is running. Moreover you can find your solutions through google.

Welcome to the mac-forums David but I think you'll notice that AskingAvA got things working properly a few months ago. :Blushing:

PS: I've never seen a compatible mouse's behavior affected by the Mac model or OS X version used, it's a pretty standard settings and yup, a google search can be a great place to search for answers. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.