New Battery on iPhone 6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
I had 860 Cycle Counts on my iPhone 6 so I replaced the battery and reboot, I dont see any difference in speed, Why did Apple offer to replace the battery if the speed would be the same? I follow the instruction and did everything right, No Difference. OR maybe Apple didnt slow down mine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
From my understanding, the processor slows down, when the battery was lower on charge, but I don’t know what % the slowdown would start (50% or 30% etc). If you kept the old battery charged and didn’t let it get down on charge %, then you shouldn’t notice a difference.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Ron

I’m sticking my neck out here, but I think this shows that his whole business has been a storm in a teacup.

860 cycles is short of the 1000 cycles Apple thinks a battery should accumulate in a normal lifetime of a device.

I think the whole question of slowing down has been exaggerated. Apple was trying to protect users with a deteriorating battery from apps closing down. Apple was pressurised into replacing batteries that were quite likely not failing.

You got a new battery. Good for you and for the longevity of your iPhone. Doesn’t surprise me me that you don’t notice any difference.

I’m ready to be shot down :Blushing:

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I’m ready to be shot down

Naw!!! But sure lots of misunderstandings and manure being spread on the web about it all.

But I believe a lot will depend on any iOS "update" (oh what an oxymoron these days!!!), has been installed:
https://www.vox.com/2017/12/22/16807056/apple-slow-iphone-batteries etc.

It seems if one is still running an older iOS, then the iPhone just may crap out and crash if pushed hard with a low capacity battery. No slowdowns with software enabled stuff.

But one can always just check:
How to easily check to see if Apple is slowing down your iPhone
http://bgr.com/2018/01/10/iphone-slow-down-after-update-how-to-check/

And for more, try here:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=1NaIWpmEMeLe8Aep_ruIDw

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The way Apple had the OS configured was that as long as the total demand on the battery was not peaking, the CPU ran at full speed. Only if the CPU was driven hard, demanding more power, was the speed throttled back. The throttling was to reduce the demand on the battery so that it would run, albeit a bit slower, rather that simply die because the battery could not keep up. The testers drive the battery at max demand, which exposed the throttling.

It is totally a tempest in a teapot. 99% of the users would never see the throttling, and of those that did 99% would not be seriously impacted. Only benchmarkers would ever see the throttling.

What made the whole thing blow up was Apple's rather ham-handed way of handling the situation. Not the technology. And as Dittoman1 found out, getting a new battery isn't going to speed up your phone unless you are a benchmarker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What made the whole thing blow up was Apple's rather ham-handed way of handling the situation. Not the technology. And as Dittoman1 found out, getting a new battery isn't going to speed up your phone unless you are a benchmarker.

I must agree and support you comments here Jake, and it seems to be Apple's method and way of doing and "fixing" a lot of things lately for some odd reason. And they call the "fix" an "UpDate"!!! Yikes!!! :Oops:

But you could probably add some heavy graphics/video and gamer users to that benchmarked list. ;D

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gamers on an iPhone? Heavy Graphics users? Not really likely, Patrick. Streaming video is not really CPU intensive. The much more likely scenario for slowing video is the connection speed, not the CPU. But I suppose that if someone were to try to play a really heavy game on the iPhone, it could trigger the throttling. But then again, how would the user know? The iPhone would play ANY serious game slowly just by the nature of the beast.
And they call the "fix" an "UpDate"!!! Yikes!!!
The battery limitation is a hardware limitation of ALL batteries. Apple added the throttling routine to prevent the iPhone from simply crashing when the demand exceeded the ability of the aging battery to supply. And all "fixes" have to be done by update. How else would the new software get to the iPhone? Would you prefer Apple simply not update the OS at all and just let things on the iPhone die and have people live with the bugs that Apple finds after release? If so, get an Android phone. They rarely update older versions!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But you could probably add some heavy graphics/video and gamer users to that benchmarked list.

I guess there are young folks who like to play games and do video work on their iPhone. I can only surmise that they have much better eyesight than this old iPhone user. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess there are young folks who like to play games and do video work on their iPhone. I can only surmise that they have much better eyesight than this old iPhone user. ;D

lmao.gif

You got that right!!! But in fact some do.

BTW: Does anyone know if the iOS Updates to "slow the iPhones" also affect any other iDevice like iPads etc if stressed???

And PS: I don't know how some do much graphics work on even the largest iPad. Sure not something these old eyes could do easily. And definitely not with a current eye condition the Drs or Ophthalmologists can't seem to fix or cure properly. :(

This darn thing call aging, but the lack of it isn't very promising. :Oops:

PPS:
Gamers on an iPhone?
Have a look at some of the hits. Lots of them…
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=DMqJWob4BfTe8AeKrKzADQ

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, one can certainly play games on an iPhone. But hardcore gamers use computers like the top of the line Alienware hardware with accelerated video cards and massive memory and overclocking. See this for example: http://www.dell.com/en-us/gaming/alienware-desktops

That kind of gaming is NOT going to happen on an iPhone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That kind of gaming is NOT going to happen on an iPhone!

Quite true Jake, and I'm quite aware of hardcore gamers!!! And I dare say they are responsible for a lot of the speed needs and increases that drives the computer makers, and not forgetting the custom game machine builders!!! Lot's of money at stake and spent not to mention time spent, building and playing. And oh yes, almost forgot the hackers!!! ;D

But from what I read there are thousands on thousands of game users who do use their cellphones.

Actually I've been rather amazed as to how well the iPhones do among some fairly high end gamers.
i.e.: https://gizmodo.com/when-it-comes-to-gaming-the-iphone-will-always-stomp-t-1767701278

I just hope they don't ruin their eyes doing so. I wouldn't even try now as I can't as my eyes have gotten old and don't work as they did in my youth.
Besides I don't enjoy most of the games I've seen anyway.

The old hidden PPC System 8-9 "Secret about Box" (at least that's what I called it) pong type game of bouncing the ball off the Apple developer's names to remove them was enjoyable for me, if any old-timers recall creating and using it. ;D

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.