Old guy trying to learn Apple Mac Sierra.

OP
C
Reaction score
Roch, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K 27inches 2017 Sierra 10.12.6 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Radeon 5
Hello friends,

I'm sorry, I haven't been here for a while. My wife and I are busy preparing for our house move, for 1st of May.

I believe there is a dismount or disconnect procedure for peripherals connected to my Mac. Then I'll be able to re-connect them all at my new home. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Frank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hello friends,

I'm sorry, I haven't been here for a while. My wife and I are busy preparing for our house move, for 1st of May.

I believe there is a dismount or disconnect procedure for peripherals connected to my Mac. Then I'll be able to re-connect them all at my new home. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Frank.

Just use the Mac's Shut Down feature and when it's finished, you can safely disconnect any connected peripherals.

Put a small label on each cable if you need or not sure where they plug in with a short description of which port they came from.

PS: Have a nice safe move.

BTW: Isn't Pembrokeshire, Wales a bit of the remote part of the UK and on the edge of the world??? ;D

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Isn't Pembrokeshire, Wales a bit of the remote part of the UK and on the edge of the world???
Depends where you are starting from. For me, it's a bit like Cornwall, but without the 6 hour drive and traffic jams. :D :D

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K 27inches 2017 Sierra 10.12.6 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Radeon 5
Hello friends,

huge apologies, I haven't visited here for about 2 months!

My wife and I have been very busy moving house. In fact because of my health issues, my wife has achieved more than I have. Since having radiotherapy, all my upper body strength is non existent. I have done some work, so I'm suffering after doing so.

My Mac is fine and dandy, although I haven't achieved any progress with it. I just do emails, Facebook and search google. I haven't put any photos on here , nor have I increased my music library.

As I say, I'm still busy sorting out our new home, dealing with change of address, and keeping up with my medical appointments. One main reason I haven't used my Mac for a lot of the we've been here, is our phone company, BT, have been a nightmare to communicate with. I've had a lot of problems with arranging a regular and reliable broadband service. I've been told that my new property has fibre optic broadband - it doesn't seem like it!

I'm glad this forum is still available!

Frank.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Frank.

Great to see you back.

Your medical problems are understood and I am sure all of us wish you the very best for the future. The Forums wouldn’t be the same without your posts.

Now, I understand your frustration with British Telecom (BT). I too “enjoy” their service, so to speak. Been with them for years.

In particular, what can we help you with?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
Nice to hear from you again and glad your move went well. Here in Canada we have issues with the telecom companies too and have a hard time contacting them. It may be a world wide problem!

I too had radiation and it does take a lot out of you. Focus on slowly getting stronger and don't expect too much of yourself right away. The dreaded exercise helped me gain back some of my strength and stamina even though I always seem tired still.

Do ask your questions. Yes the forum is still here despite expectations to the contrary.

Diane

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Diane, hello Ian, thank you for your replies. I'm still carrying on with my walking, even if it isn't every day.

Ok, here is the problem I face a couple hours ago.

All of a sudden I can't print with my HP Deskjet 2050 printer.

On the bottom of the screen ( forget what it's called ), it shows icon of printer, with 7 items to print.

I click on the icon, a box appears, showing 7 jobs to print, ( or spool file in windows speak ). It also mentions, the printer is not connected. To my knowledge it is. So I click on settings for printer, then click on utility tab, I click on "open printer utility ". Another box opens with a warning - unable to communicate with the selected device. It may have been turned off, or otherwise disconnected. I've checked my cables and they are connected.

Ok, the only thing that happened couple days ago, is my wife swapped some stuff around in our study, and somehow the printer plug was half out of the socket, so I pushed it back in. Also I had to change my colour cartridge. Otherwise I can't figure it out.

I'm frustrated! Can you help please? I'm an old fool, and brain isn't computer friendly.

Frank.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm so glad the forum is still us otherwise I would be lost.

I managed to do something this afternoon. In an email, there was a video that I wanted to download. Imagine my utter surprise when I actually did it!

On my desktop, I have a folder called Saved Documents, that is where the video is saved to. I've been advised this isn't the correct thing to do, but it's all I know, for the time being. I'm assuming there is a way to move the folder to a different location? Well I don't know how to do it.

I'm still settling into my new home, so I haven't had time to play with my Mac, as much as I would like. I'm concentrating on emails and Facebook, this somehow keeps me sane.

I have yet to connect my camera to the Mac. I hope to experiment soon.

Ok, when I go online, I only use Safari, and why not? Forgive my ignorance, I still cannot manage how to figure out how to save bookmarks. I tried the other day, and absolutely failed! Why am I an idiot?

Frank.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Congrats on getting the video downloaded. BTW Frank the only idiots are those who refuse to try to learn so you're goood there by a long shot. Here's a quick article that edxplains how to save files.It is probably for an older version of the OS than what you have but the process has not changed much.

This video shows how to use drag and drop to jmove that video to a new location. In one Finder window open the folder with the video. In another Finder window open the place you want the video to be.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I still cannot manage how to figure out how to save bookmarks.

Right Frank. Let's say you are on Safari and go onto a website - as we are both UK residents - I'll say it Marks and Spencer. You click on "men" then "shirts" and finally you see a page with an assortment of shirts. Naturally, being a man, you daren't buy a shirt without approval from "she".

So, you want to bookmark that page for future reference.

1. Go to the top Menu Bar in Safari and Click on "Bookmarks", from the drop down, choose "Add Bookmark". If you have created Bookmarks Folders, you will be given the choice to save that page in a Folder - otherwise, just Click Save.

2. Here's a shortcut to all that. Whilst on the page, use the Keyboard and simultaneously hold down Command and D. This allows you to save it to Bookmarks without all the fuss. You can, of course, save to a Bookmarks Folder or just to Bookmarks.

Now, is that easy or what?

Need to find that Bookmark in the future when "she" is in a good mood; two ways at least:

1. Click on Bookmarks from the top Menu Bar and choose the one you want.

2. Just under the top Menu Bar, you will see this-

S1.jpg

Click on the icon shown in red. This will open a sidebar on the left showing all your Bookmarks. Select your choice.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On my desktop, I have a folder called Saved Documents, that is where the video is saved to. I've been advised this isn't the correct thing to do, but it's all I know, for the time being. I'm assuming there is a way to move the folder to a different location? Well I don't know how to do it.

Personally I'd say that's a very good method to use, and much better than the OS X default of a "Downloads" folder that's supposed to stay in one's Dock but doesn't.
And how many Mac OS newbies know where the original is kept.

PS: Make sure your browser is set to download to the folder that you want to use.

I have mine set to my Desktop and then deal with them — either use and delete, (installer stuff) or file them where ever I want or need.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Personally I'd say that's a very good method to use, and much better than the OS X default of a "Downloads" folder that's supposed to stay in one's Dock but doesn't.
Patrick, my Downloads folder has been in my Dock for over 10 years. Never went away. What do you mean by that statement? Is your Downloads folder disappearing from the Dock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, my Downloads folder has been in my Dock for over 10 years. Never went away. What do you mean by that statement? Is your Downloads folder disappearing from the Dock?

Jake, have you never come across a Mac user who has deleted their OS X default "Downloads" folder from their Dock and has no idea where the original folder is located to get it back, or even discover all the stuff it may contain???

And no, mine is still there in case I happen to use it as some little used apps or utilities do.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I see, Patrick. Sure, one can delete ANYTHING from the Dock. Your post seemed to imply that the folder on the Desktop would persist, but on the Dock might disappear. Any folder anywhere can "disappear" if the user deletes it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any folder anywhere can "disappear" if the user deletes it.

Yes, but the ones in the Dock can be "deleted" so much easier and with a neat exploding white cloud puff and it's gone!!! ;D

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but the ones in the Dock can be "deleted" so much easier and with a neat exploding white cloud puff and it's gone!!! ;D

- Patrick
======
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that just delete the alias / shortcut to the original folder? Not trying to be a pain but just want to clarify that for new users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly, you are quite correct. Everything on the Dock is an alias, so deleting something is "relatively" harmless and easily fixed. Deleting something from the Desktop is a bit more hazardous if you didn't mean to do it. Fixable, if you don't empty the trash, or if you have a backup, but certainly more work than putting an alias back on the Dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that just delete the alias / shortcut to the original folder? Not trying to be a pain but just want to clarify that for new users.

Yup, but don't forget that you aren't a Mac newbie and know how most Mac things work which is not the same for many Mac newbies.

And especially when the original user's folders can be hiding in an almost inaccessible hidden default users folder or Library folder.

PS: I one makes an alias of a folder and drags it to the Dock, it will open and work as a normal Finder folder and not as any stack type Dock folder.

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, but don't forget that you aren't a Mac newbie and know how most Mac things work which is not the same for many Mac newbies.

And especially when the original user's folders can be hiding in an almost inaccessible hidden default users folder or Library folder.

PS: I one makes an alias of a folder and drags it to the Dock, it will open and work as a normal Finder folder and not as any stack type Dock folder.

- Patrick
======
That's why I mentioned it. I could see where someone new to Macs might be a bit confused. I have a folder or two in the Dock for ease of access from time to time.

BTW You probably know this but for others still reading the thread:Folders in the Dock do not have to open in the default stack mode. Control-clicking a folder in the Dock lets you set certain aspects of how the folder will open

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello friends,

thank you for all your replies. Forgive me, but I haven't read all of them yet. I've just spent almost 2 hours on the phone, with my broadband internet provider, so I'm extremely exhausted. I may look again tomorrow.

I don't want to be a pain, but I still have an outstanding question, regarding my printer. Can you please help me with my dilemma?

Frank.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.