Old guy trying to learn Apple Mac Sierra.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You should be able to do that without major issues. Some conversion of formats may be necessary but that is usually pretty easily done. Post back with any questions/problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Commercial DVD’s usually have some type of security protection.

OP
C
Reaction score
Roch, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K 27inches 2017 Sierra 10.12.6 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Radeon 5
Thank you friends,
if I get along fine, I won't be asking more questions.

Frank.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
if I get along fine, I won't be asking more questions.

Oh please do, Frank. Where would we be without you:)

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K 27inches 2017 Sierra 10.12.6 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Radeon 5
Hello friends,
I haven't made any more progress with my Mac - busy with family stuff.

On the top bar, on the right, I have an icon for my camera, which, when I connect my camera, eventually, Eos Utilities will open up in order to transfer images onto the Mac. Next I would use Canon's DPP software to do minor adjustments, before going into Photoshop Elements.

Once I've finished playing with my photos ( something I ain't clever with ), I would then be tempted to create folders on the desktop. Or should I file them away, in the Photos app? Would it be easy to do?

Ok, stupid question time. How do I check whether my Mac is performing back-ups?

Once again, thank you all for your help.

Frank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Hello friends,
I haven't made any more progress with my Mac - busy with family stuff.

On the top bar, on the right, I have an icon for my camera, which, when I connect my camera, eventually, Eos Utilities will open up in order to transfer images onto the Mac. Next I would use Canon's DPP software to do minor adjustments, before going into Photoshop Elements.

Once I've finished playing with my photos ( something I ain't clever with ), I would then be tempted to create folders on the desktop. Or should I file them away, in the Photos app? Would it be easy to do?

Ok, stupid question time. How do I check whether my Mac is performing back-ups?

Once again, thank you all for your help.

Frank.

Suggest you forget the Canon software and import into Photos where you will find a good range of edit facilities and can file from the start. I have PE but use it rarely. The filing system goes Albums > Folder (a collection of albums) > Album. I do Folders in capitals, albums lower case.

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 11.02.27.jpg

You can then arrange them in various order.

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 11.09.42.jpg

Lots of info here https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/photos/ Also, Apple do free one-hour workshops on Photos in their stores.

Back ups

You have to set your Time Machine preferences and, preferably, attach a hard drive. I use a portable and do a manual backup about once a month or if I've loaded loads of photos.
Open TM preferences > select Disk. Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 11.15.55.png

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Sue,
thank you for your informative post, I appreciate it.

I would prefer to use my Canon software, as I like using it and it works with my camera. I'm trusting I can still file my images in Photos.

As for going to Apple Store to learn about Photos, Cardiff is 100 milers from me. I'm not sure if there's one in Swansea, which is 65 miles away.

I'll take a look at the other info you provided.

Frank.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I would then be tempted to create folders on the desktop

Absolutely not, Frank.

Desktop is a workspace, not a storage space.

Best stored in Photos, as most suggest, or in "Pictures" which is in your Home Folder - but Photos better and easier.

You're getting there;)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'll go contrarian and suggest that if you are going to use the Canon software for import and editing that you NOT use Photos, just put the pictures in folders under your Documents folder, not on the desktop as Ian has told you. The Canon software and Photos do the same things--import and edit--but the one additional thing Photos does is storage and retrieval. Given you are comfortable with folders, just use that. Note, however, that Photos always keeps the original photo, even if you edit it, just in case you ever decide to undo the edits, or change your mind. I don't know if the Canon software does that. Of course, if you edit with the Canon and then import to Photos, then Photos sees the edited image as the "original." So pick one or the other and stick with it, don't mix them. Thats my $0.02 anyway.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, here I go with my continued stupidity. I can't remember where Documents folder is.

I'm assuming I click on Finder icon, left click on the page on the right and create a new folder. Then I presume, once I get going, I can create as many folders as I please?

If I attach an external hard drive to the Mac ( I have 3 or 4 ) would I be able to import my old photos onto the Mac? And would I be able to import them into a Documents folder?

Thank you all for your continued patience!

Frank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Open Finder. On the left sidebar is an icon that looks like a house. That's your Home folder. It belongs to your account. That's where you want to put everything. Inside that folder is a subfolder named "Documents" along with others. I think one defaults is "Pictures" which is where you can store pictures. Actually, you can put them anywhere, but Apple (I think) adds that as a default location when the account is created as a convenience.

Yes, if you attach the drive to the Mac it should be able to be read by the Mac and you can copy them to your folders. Just highlight them on the external drive in Finder, then File/Copy and go to where you want and File/Paste. You can copy a range of them by highlighting one at the top, then scrolling to the bottom and holding shift, click on the last one. Everything in between the two will be highlighted and then copied/pasted when you use the steps I gave.

You really should do some study at the Apple website on macOS. There are very good tutorials there.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And, for the record, I agree with Jake.

If you are going down the Canon route, stick to it. I, and Sue I think, was suggesting Photos as an alternative to - not as well as, Canon.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Jake, hello Ian,

thank you for your latest replies. I do wish to stick to my Canon software. I'm not saying photos is no good, I just want to stick with what I know.

Ok I think it's time, I did some research on Apple tutorials. One day, I might understand what I'm trying to do! :D

Frank.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake,

I just had a quick look! There's a lot of stuff on there.

Frank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
I'm an old gal who switched to Mac and had to learn a lot too. Don't be stuck in "this is how I used to do it". Mac has it's own way. And it's always a nice integrated easy way once you get used to it.

You are having 3 unrelated issues I see here. Just learn one at a time and practice and get used to it. Make paper notes to remind yourself if you have to until it's second nature.

Safari can easily put your bookmarks into "folders". When in Safari, just go to "Bookmarks" at the top of the screen and choose Add a folder. Type the name you want the folder to be called. Then save a bookmark into the folder. Just do a test one. Perhaps a "kid Youtube favourites" for a test.

Your idea of not copying your music but ripping it again sounds kind of wasteful of time and energy. If your old PC is still operational, just copy all your music onto something like a USB stick or drive. Then go to your Mac and "open" the music in iTunes. That's all it takes and you are set. After you copy it all into iTunes you can do any bits of set and re-organization you might want, but it's not necessary. I don't know how much music you have, but the thought of ripping all my CD's again would send me into despair. Just try to copy 1 album, or even 1 song to see how easy it is.

I'd talk about photos too, but perhaps another time. It's very very easy too.

Macs are designed to be easy to use. It makes me sad to read you are so muddled.

Perhaps you could take an orientation course at an Apple Store. They are free here if you buy a new Mac.

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Diane,
thank you for your reply. Mac definitely has it's own way! I've got hundreds of music CD's; but it doesn't really matter to me, how I use them or copy them to computer, because in general, I love nothing better than to play CD's on my Hi-Fi. Putting music onto computer is simply convenient. I have in fact ripped 1 CD onto the Mac - it was quite easy. Ok, I suppose I could transfer music from my PC onto my Mac. Some music on my PC, is music that I copied from my daughter's CD collection. I might like 1 or 2 songs, but not the whole album. So it is important that I retrieve this music, before my PC dies!

As for photos, well I'll figure it out as I go along! And yes, I am muddled, because I'm no computer or technological expert.

Frank.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello friends,

I haven't been here for a while, busy with family stuff.

In a matter of weeks, my wife and I will be moving into our new bungalow.

In the meantime, I haven't made any productive progress on my Mac. I hope to connect my camera soon. Then I'll be able to attempt to figure out how to print photos, on a wireless Canon printer, my daughter gave me. I've just discovered a wireless button, to switch on, at the back of my BT home-hub. Why are things so complicated? My Technics Hi-Fi, consists of 4 separates. I've asked the removal guy, if they would be so kind, as to put them in one box, so I don't have to disconnect all the wires, as no way, would I be able to connect them all up sensibly. As I get older, I become dumber and dumber - great film! :D

Frank.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Frank:

Before you move, take out your camera and shoot some photos of everything you have that might be disconnected and then need to be reconnected. Later you can resort to your photos to see how everything was setup.

Being a governement worker for so many years, I moved numerous times. What I used to do was draw diagrams of all my stereo equipment and other things that had to be reconnected. Movers are famous for taking things apart in order to fit them in smaller boxes for storage. :)

Reaction score
There is no "Mac Bookmark system." There is a way to store bookmarks in Safari, if that is what you mean. It's dead simple. On the top bar of the Mac when you have Safari running and showing is the word "Bookmarks." Click that and a drop down menu opens with lots of options. If you want the bookmarks to show in a sidebar, click on View on that same top bar and "Show Bookmarks Sidebar" and it will appear. To Edit or delete bookmarks, use the Bookmark option and choose "Edit Bookmarks" to do whatever you want. To add a bookmark from a current webpage, click on Bookmarks and then Add Bookmark and it will be added to the list. If you have the bookmark bar or sidebar showing, you can also just drag the URL from the URL box to the sidebar or the bookmark bar if you have it showing and drop it there. It can't get much easier. But remember, it's not the Mac bookmark process, it's just Safari's process. If you use another browser you will have to figure out how THAT browser handles bookmarks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.