Airport Express problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
Airport express base station does nothing but flash orange. It turns solid orange when plugged in, turns green briefly and then switches to flashing orange. I don't use it for internet, I use it for airtunes and wireless printing. At the moment I have only an audio out line plugged in. It does the same thing if the USB for the printer is plugged in too or by itself, and all possible combinations with an ethernet cable plugged in as well. I have a new intel iMac and this base station was previously used with a powerbook for internet. It shows up in the bar at the top of the screen as the network that i had created but says there is an error when trying to join it. ive tried the airport admin utility and setup assistent and neither detect a base station. This is the first link in a system that runs throughout the house, and I've been dying to hear it working. I need help, please! Thank you in advance!

-Tyler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've had to that a few times. The hard reset seems to work best.

OP
TBoblp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)
Thank you very much for the link to the article and the advice. The hard reset worked perfectly! By the way...beautiful photography, baggss.

Also I'm going to test it out tomorrow but does anyone know if the USB port on the airport express functions normally as an additional USB port or specifically for a printer. I'd like to try hooking up an audio interface to it if possible and the computer monitor is partially set into the wall so its a hassle to get back there and unplug stuff. Thank you again!

-Tyler

Reaction score
I believe the express usb port is dedicated as a print server, but I could be wrong. As a print server, it's excellent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)
TBoblp said:
Also I'm going to test it out tomorrow but does anyone know if the USB port on the airport express functions normally as an additional USB port or specifically for a printer.

The Express' USB port is for printers only. No audio or USB device (except for a Keyspan Express Remote...) will work for it according to Apple here and here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.