Transcend 4 GB Thumb Drive: Alive or Dead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Mark, I guess where I was going with this is that if you could retrieve the files from your USB drive you could erase the TM backup and start afresh. I don't keep my TM backups very long. Usually every time I upgrade my OS and I'm satisfied everything is intact I erase the old backup a create a new one. Hence my backups are seldom older than a year.

OP
M
Reaction score
Are all the files locked on the Time Machine drive? Have you tried to change the “permissions” on the entire Time Machine drive? See this article, https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-change-permissions-on-an-external-hard-drive-for-a-mac, however, after Step 4, and before Step 5, click the down arrow icon at the bottom of the window, and choose “apply to all files and folders”.

Thanks, ferrarr. This worked. I was able to Unlock the Folders. It's a one-at-a-time deal, very labor intensive and very glitchy, but, eventually, it works.

It appears that the files that I wanted to retrieve were on the thumb drive, but not on the Time Machine Back-up. I'll hang on to the thumb drive, but I think it is beyond repair.

Thanks everyone who posted in this thread. You guys are the best. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Thanks, ferrarr. This worked. I was able to Unlock the Folders. It's a one-at-a-time deal, very labor intensive and very glitchy, but, eventually, it works.

It appears that the files that I wanted to retrieve were on the thumb drive, but not on the Time Machine Back-up. I'll hang on to the thumb drive, but I think it is beyond repair.

Thanks everyone who posted in this thread. You guys are the best. :)
You’re welcome, I’m glad it worked for you. You should have been able to select the Time Machine drive, and change all the files and folders at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You should have been able to select the Time Machine drive, and change all the files and folders at the same time.

Or even done a Get Info on the TM backup volume and select the "Ignore permissions on this volume…" :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^I guess I have more **** homework to do. :)

Hey, it's an ongoing learning process and you'll probably never get finished, so don't give up for quite a while yet. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
... select the Time Machine drive, and change all the files and folders at the same time.

I did this. That was 24 hours ago. It's still "applying privileges." Is it possible that it takes this long, or have I done something wrong here?

Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did this. That was 24 hours ago. It's still "applying privileges." Is it possible that it takes this long, or have I done something wrong here?

Thanks. :)
How big is the drive storage space? How much of that space is Time Machine using? What connection type is the drive (USB 2/3, or other)?

OP
M
Reaction score
How big is the drive storage space? How much of that space is Time Machine using? What connection type is the drive (USB 2/3, or other)?

500 GB total capacity
Time Machine Using 152 GB
Connection is USB (the oldest kind)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time Machine Using 152 GB
Connection is USB (the oldest kind)

If that's a 2007? or earlier era Mac, and using its 1.5Mbps maximum USB speed, it might be finished sometime later this weekend or even after, with that much to go trough and change.

Disk Utility can show you how many files and folders exist in that drive.

Patience may be a compulsory asset here. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.