Annoying read-only folders imported from windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)
Converted to an iMac about a year ago but only just getting round to sorting this one out!

When I converted I brought all my existing MP3s onto the Mac by burning them to a CD and dragging them onto the Mac from the CD.

I have two admin level accounts on the Mac (running OS X 10.3.9) - one for me and one for my wife. The iTunes music library is in the shared folder so theoretically we should both be able to access them.

The problem is that, whilst I can see all the files and have read-write access to them in my account, my wife does't. She's got full access to everything we've ripped since buying the mac - but all the stuff we imported when we converted shows in Finder with the "stop sign" icon on the folder and so she can't import it into iTunes. You can see a screen shot of what it looks like here:

>> screen shot <<

Any ideas how to get round it? Have the same problem with a few word and excel documents that we imported as well.

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
I guess if you write click (or apple click) on the ones which you are restricted to then go to info (or better still just highlight it and press apple and "i") then go the tab that says permissions, if you need to then click on the arrow to expand it. If it is padlocked then unlock it. You may need to enter a password, either yours or your wifes. once this is done you can change the permissions of the file, again you may need to enter yours or your wifes password.

This should sort your problem out!

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)
Seems to have done the trick - I was trying variations on that theme but seem to have hit the right one. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although it will be a pain doing it on every restricted file, I am pretty sure there was faster way but I just don't kno what that is, I did have the same problem when I first got my iBook

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
makwanad said:
Although it will be a pain doing it on every restricted file, I am pretty sure there was faster way but I just don't kno what that is, I did have the same problem when I first got my iBook

You can just do it on the top folder and there's an option to apply the same attributes to the underlying folders & doocuments

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought so.... oh well thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.