My Yahoo Settings Not Working with Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
I have a Mac Mini running 10.10.5 and I don't know if the issue is with My Yahoo or Firefox 58.0.2. I can't change any settings. Add Content, Choose Themes, Settings, Google Mail, Weather, etc. I have a laptop running Windows 10 and Firefox and there are no problems, just on my Mac. I have no issues with Safari. How can this be corrected? This is very frustrating. This started happening yesterday and only on my Mac. I know i could use Safari, but the PCH games run extremely slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Why haven’t you upgraded the OS on your Mac mini? 10.13 is the newest macOS version.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
I upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.5 from Mavericks last year and everything has been OK.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So let me get this straight. Your running macOS 10.10.5 and you use Firefox as your default browser but you are having issues with your My Yahoo site.
Are you logged into Firefox?
Have you tried logging out of your Yahoo account and back in again?
Are you running Firefox Quantum? This is the latest version and has changed a number of things regarding privacy and page rendering.
Have you tried Safari to compare performance with your Yahoo page?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't logged out of Yahoo. How would I log out? I can't access any Yahoo settings in Firefox. And yes, I'm running Firefox Quantum. I used Safari today. I have no problems with it. It performs very good and I have no issues with my Yahoo. I might make it my default browser if I can't get Firefox to work. I have one issue with Safari. When I play my Publishers Clearing House games, Safari is very slow and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Flash because Firefox uses Flash. Would you have any idea why it's so slow? Maybe I should use Safari as my default browser and just use Firefox for my games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
FFQ is on trhe nose big time.

If you must use FF, for some odd reason, read this link about going back to the latest version without the pong:-

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1185315

Also odd you are so far behind using an old operating system no longer supported by Apple with security or system updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
FFQ is on trhe nose big time.
If you must use FF, for some odd reason, read this link about going back to the latest version without the pong:-
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1185315

I dare say that's a reference to some older FF 55-56 versions and the most current version of Firefox is currently 58.0.2.

I also use it occasionally and more so when Safari that I prefer doesn't work properly, and I must say FF impresses me, works well and is FAST!!!

And that's even when running it in OS X 10.9.x Mavericks.

And PS: Apple's xprotect files are still arriving faithfully.

- Patrick
======

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am I really that far behind in upgrading. I upgraded last year from Mavericks. My computer is 8 years old and I don't even know if it could handle a newer operation system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@hschaars
Am I really that far behind in upgrading.

hschaars, I wouldn't be too concerned with what some seem to keep flogging about running the "latest & greatest" (yeah right!!!) and I know lots of people still running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 without any troubles.

And having been to Sun City, AZ many years ago (maybe 40+!!! I'd guess that you don't need the latest&greatest, nor fastest Mac for whatever it is you do.
BTW: I'm still generally using Mavericks 10.9.5 as I don't appreciate Apple removing a lot of the features I rely on from later OS X releases.

But if you're still using your Mac with a possibly basic 2GB RAM, I would seriously suggest you upgrade that before considering any OS X upgrades.

You can find what you Mac has from the window under the Apple icon "About this Mac…" and full specs here for your specific model:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/index-macmini.html

Also check your hard drive as for how full it is. And with its age, it could be starting to fail and slowness is a good indicator of that happening.

Those thing are a lot more critical for any upgrades and decent performance over major OS X updates AFAIC!!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And somew backwoods campers flog 'stay where you are'. Like 'The sky is falling'.

Apple advise using a current operating system to get vital security updates. Security patches, malware and adware protection, firmware updates are all covered when the operating system isn supported with updates by Apple.

Last edited:
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 4GB RAM, had a new drive installed 3 years ago and I have 228 GB available on my 319 GB Drive. I only used about 90GB.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going to try and have it upgraded. It's over 8 years old so I do't know if it will work. I may have to purchase a new computer which I really can't afford since I am 75 y.o, retired, and living on a fixed income.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going to try and have it upgraded. It's over 8 years old so I do't know if it will work. I may have to purchase a new computer which I really can't afford since I am 75 y.o, retired, and living on a fixed income.

I'm also a 76 year old pensioner and in a similar situation, but I'm sure not even considering a newer Mac than my current mid-2011 27" iMac, nor my wife's 2007 24' iMac thanks.

If you want any of the later OS X "features" you can use or need, you can always update to El Capitan the Maximum MacOS X 10.11.x that mini will support. But regardless if you need to increase it's speed possibly and functions, upgrading it to at least 8GB would probably help, maybe, but it depends on what you do and how you use your mini. Using Activity Monitor.app will give you a good idea.

But I'd say it has lot's of good life left.

PS: When was the last time you shut your mini Off and rebooted. Doing that may help purge some crap and help speed things up.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And somew backwoods campers flog 'stay where you are'. Like 'The sky is falling'.

Apple advise using a current operating system to get vital security updates. Security patches, malware and adware protection, firmware updates are all covered when the operating system isn supported with updates by Apple.

Sorry harry, but I'm not understanding what either of your statements are saying and your comments of the operating system isn't making sense.

It may be confusing to the OP as well.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dish it out and cop it sweet!

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I shut my computer off every night and reboot in the morning. I'm checking out the Mac Media store for refurbished computers, but I think I would rather upgrade to El Capitan for now as I can"t afford another computer. . I know the president of the Sun City Mac Computer Club. He said he could upgrade it for me. He helped me in the past. Maybe I'll join the club.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I personally think joining a Mac User's Group or Club is a great idea. Lot's of talent and good ideas shared among members is always very helpful. Let us know how you get along. :)

And be sure to join us when we move to our new location: www.mac-forums.org

Also read the notice about the forums shutting down in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know the president of the Sun City Mac Computer Club. He said he could upgrade it for me. He helped me in the past. Maybe I'll join the club.

You're lucky to know such a fellow and by all means join their MUG (Mac User Group) club. Usually lots of resources, bargains, knowledge and just good socializing Mac folks and their company at such clubs.

I shut my computer off every night and reboot in the morning.
You might want to just let it sleep overnight for a change and let it do some of its maintenance that it would normally do at night. And no, it won't use any amount of electricity that you'd notice on any bill.

I think I would rather upgrade to El Capitan for now as I can"t afford another computer.
Good idea. But maybe keep your existing OS X volume in its own bootable partition.

And check peripheral compatibility like printers and software.
For software try this:
https://roaringapps.com/apps?index=a

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I am using FireFox Quantum 58.0.2 bear in mind this is 64bit only and I is a vast improvement on FF 56 was a dog compared to this new version which is fast and much less of a resource hog than the older versions. I had been using Opera for a while there but I’m back to FF now.
Still you have to use what suits your device. Opera is still a good alternative if you really don’t like Safari.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't logged out of Yahoo. How would I log out? I can't access any Yahoo settings in Firefox.
I’m a bit confused by this remark. When I go to Yahoo on any browser I have to log into my Yahoo Account in order to access my email (@yahoo.com) and my Yahoo home page. Only from there can I access My Yahoo settings. Exactly the same as Google and Microsoft home sites.
If you have My Yahoo bookmarked as I do with my frequently visited sites usually the first thing you have to do is login unless you have ticked “Keep me logged in” at some time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.