My Yahoo Settings Not Working with Firefox

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
I just noticed that my Safari is out of date. It's 10.1.2. I went to the App Store and can't find it anywhere. Is this because 10.10.5 isn't being supported anymore? If I upgraded to El Capitan will my Safari upgrade also? Is there any way I can Upgrade it now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, when you upgrade the OS, you will also get an upgraded Safari, and other included system software.

Edit: to upgrade to El Capitan, see this Apple Support Document, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes, when you upgrade the OS, you will also get an upgraded Safari, and other included system software.

And about the only way to get an updated Safari version, and one of the advantages of using a third-party browser like Firefox, one can usually get a major updated version without having to up one's OS X version as well.

PS:
Edit: to upgrade to El Capitan, see this Apple Support Document
Thanks for this info Bob, and I didn't realize Apple had made that download available, but it does seem a bit limited to just a few users who qualify.

I'm not sure it will actually work for the OP. Do you have any experience using it?
This is what Apple says at the site:
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 9.22.33 AM.png

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using FireFox Quantum 58.0.2

Wow!! It seems like it was less than a week ago that I had updated my FF to v. 58.0.1, so I guess their v. 58.0.3 will be available any day now!! ;D

I sure can't deny that they don't do any frequent updates!!! But it does work well and sure seems fast. I'm still training myself to try and use tabs better that FF seems to prefer using.

PS: I seem to be using it, FF, more and more as my Safari seems to continue doing goofy things, many of which I can't seem to get fixed regardless of resets and cache purging etc..

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Patrick, it was many years ago that I stopped using Safari and switched to Google Chrome. Around the time of Snow Leopard. That was because of two things: the layout (and I still don't like that) and the fact that Safari was not compatible with some online services such as my Taxation Office.
I got so accustomed to Chrome's layout and tab management that I stuck with it until about 5 years back when I started looking for alternatives. I have tried all of the popular brands and some pretty obscure ones but none are like Safari. Most work in much the same way as Chrome but for now I have settled on FF because its interface is intuitive for me, it has enhanced privacy features and it works well across my iOS devices. There is no doubt that had I stuck with Safari way back I might still be using it. This is not a criticism of Safari just a matter of personal preference.
Sorry this is a bit off topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is not a criticism of Safari just a matter of personal preference.
Sorry this is a bit off topic.

No apology needed AFAIC and I appreciated your comments.

And Thanks,

- Patrick
======

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
I upgraded to El Capitan yesterday and it runs great. How long do I have until El Capitan is obsolete?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I upgraded to El Capitan yesterday and it runs great. How long do I have until El Capitan is obsolete?

I guess the "obsolete" description part depends on one's definition. ;D

Some users are still using Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I'm still usually running Mavericks 10.9.5 and both seem to work for some, depending on what is needed and used.

Enjoy your new OS X El Capitan experience.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Obsolete and unsupported are two different things but some may regard an unsupported OS as obsolete due to a lack of security updates. Those people who continue to use unsupported OS’s like Snow Leopard need to take a number of steps to ensure their personal data remains secure. If you wish to use online services in the way that popular expectations suggest then that could be risky. El Capitan is still fully supported and poses few risks other than the obvious dangers of malware, ransomware and invasive software programs which may be intriduced by visiting dangerous web sites or performing downloads from malicious sites. Some may also argue that Apple’s new filing system introduced in High Sierra is more robust with better built in protection for core services but at the end of the day nothing protects users better than good personal practices and judicious use of the secondary security options on offer such as two step verification, anti malware apps, strong passwords and full regular backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.