Bootcamp partition won't boot

Reaction score
Hi there,

My bootcamp partition won't boot. Windows updated automatically and is now stuck in a boot loop. I can still see all of and access the files in the Mac OS so it hasn't been deleted - it just won't boot into Windows. Can anyone advise how to make it bootable again?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Give all the specs of the system you are using? Mac model and year? Mac OS X/OS X/macOS version? Boot Camp version? winOS version?

Can you boot into Recovery partition? Can you boot into macOS?

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi,

I can boot into Mac OS but not Windows. I can see the Bootcamp partition in Mac OS so it's all there, it's just not bootable.

I have a 2017 Mac mini with Mac OS Sierra and Windows 10 Pro. it is a Fusion drive.

I can boot into the Windows recovery options using the install USB but there is no system restore to go back to and all of the other options fail too.

It was fine until Windows Update Assistant automatically upgraded me to the latest version of Windows 10.

Here is the output from diskutil list. I can't see any Windows boot entry. How can I create this and where should I create it?

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 121.0 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 941.9 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 1.1 TB disk1s4
5: Windows Recovery 496.0 MB disk1s5

/dev/disk2 (internal, virtual):
0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD +1.1 TB disk2
Logical Volume on disk0s2, disk1s2
7D1505B6-8345-4E9D-A786-D2778F32AF0F
Unencrypted Fusion Drive

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to repair the Windows Boot Sector. No telling what happened when it updated? Do some research on how to repair the Windows 10 boot sector. I no longer run Windows on any of my Macs but I do remember there is a routine for repairing the Boot Sector.

Also... the fact that you're running a Fusion drive may be part of the problem. Windows doesn't understand how a Fusion drive works and the update may have broken its ability to boot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.