Is AirPort Time Capsule finished?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPad & iPhone
Is AirPort Time Capsule finished? I've had it quite a few years. When the light on it flashes yellow I cut the power for a while and switch it on again and the green light returns. This lasts for about a week or two and I go through this process again. Now it doesn't show green at all and I get is the flashing yellow. It is still showing that it is backing up and it is only 1.2 TB of 2 TB. Is this kit finished and should I get a replacement?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Flashing yellow means that you have a firmware update that you need to do on the time capsule. So power up Airport Utility on your Mac and point it at TM and it will find/download/do the upgrade.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I gave it two updates, since I haven't done it since I bought it, but it is still flashing yellow. It won't accept any more updating.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does Airport Utility say? If, on the other hand, after a power cycle the Airport goes to green and then yellow that might indicate an issue. Look at this article to see what the various LEDs mean. I had bought a used Airport Express that lasted about 2 months and then would blink yellow shortly after power-up and thus had failed. I replaced it with a newer Airport Express and it's been functioning fine.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I' resigned to buying another one. It just flashes yellow all the time, whatever I do.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it constantly flashes yellow then it's failed and has to be replaced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.