How to change the appliation that opens a pdf file?

Reaction score
I would like to change the application that opens all .pdf files.
Currently, the default setting is for Photoshop Elements 14 to open .pdf files.

Instead, I would like all .pdf files to open with the Mac Preview application by default.

Two common methods to change this default setting do not work for me as summarized below.
1. Open with > other > check-mark "always open with" > preview
2. Get info > open with > other > check-mark "always open with" > preview

These methods to change the default setting in .pdf files only works for individual .pdf files, or just works temporarily for more than one .pdf file.
The original default setting for .pdf files to open with Photoshop Elements always returns, even when the "always open with" option is selected for the Preview option.

Instead, it may be more effective to find the solution with Photoshop Elements 14 itself.
Is there a setting within Photoshop Elements 14 that can de-select this software from being a default application?

I have not found such an optional setting within Photoshop Elements 14.
Thanks for any tips on how to change the default setting within Photoshop Elements 14 with .pdf files.

I'm using the Mac Mini and El Capitan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Have you looked in Photoshop Elements 14 Preferences? There is usually a list of file types the app will open, you should be able to remove PDF from that option?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.