FireWire NAS / Networking for Storage

J

jozwikjp

Hello,

I have a thought and if anyone knows if this is possible or a better way to do this I would much appreciate some help..

I am a long time PC user, Bought a G4 20" imac a couple years ago then sold it cause it was not editing video like very well.

I am looking at a 20" imac intel for video editing and things again. I have a HDR-HC3 HD camcorder. so I need the machine to edit 1080i video.

I have a PC with a good size hard drive array raided together. I was wondering if I could connect the 2 machines via FireWire to use the hard drive array for fast video editing etc..

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I'm assuming the RAID is not external since it'd be just as easy to connect it to the Mac versus firewire to a PC. If the RAID is formatted in NTFS than it wouldn't work since Macs can't write to NTFS volumes.

LaCie makes a decent 1.2TB firewire storage unit for 869.00 (retail) I think. It supports RAID 0 or JBOD. They don't offer any hardware RAID units for firewire 400 other than RAID 0. If you really want to edit HD video SATAII is the ideal. However the iMac does not have that capability.

Firewire 400 is not the best through put for HD. Even Firewire 800 isn't ideal.

Even if you were to get the PC and the Mac setup over firewire (sharing the RAID), performance still would not be what it should.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.