Airport & A Wireless Internet Connection: How Do I Figure Out What I Need?

G

Gideon

I admit that I'm ignorant and researching this topic has given me a migrane. I can't find what I need on Apple's site either.

Where can I find basic information on how Airport works? I'm looking for a guide that will explain the connectivity basics to me like I'm 4.

What's the difference between Airport and Airport Extreme?

Initially, I'll need a wireless connection to the internet so that I can surf from anywhere in my home. If I plan to use a Linksys router to network to a PC in the future, can I get by with the basic Airport card? Does this come preinstalled on new systems?

Thanks for your help!

OP
F

Fomer

Airport and Aiport Extreme's only difference is the speed. I think you can figure out which runs faster. But the only way to see that speed is to buy the faster base station (please don't buy one from apple they are a total rip on price!) I'd go with Linksys that's what both me and tprnmonkey use (probably more folks).

I went with Extreme, and the faster base station. And I reach my full speed "according to my isp and speed test" Granted we have a smallish home and I don't take it outside.

As for the configuring.... there is none! :) Just buy either Airport or Airport E. install them with the instuctions (if you aren't computer swavvy or too good with instructions Apple store people do it for like 15-20 bucks.

Then if was rich I would def pick up apples base station. :D Otherwise I'd go to Radio Shack and pick up Linksys Wireless Router (the one that coresponds with your card) 79. for the normal card and the 120 router for the airport extreme (prices may very from store to store)

As for the configuring... there is none. Come on plug in the router to your cable box, restart your laptop. And you'll be connected, I didn't have to type one thing one or configure one thing.

OP
C

CMBlechar

Airport Info

I just got an Airport Extreme System and while when it works, it works great, but it seems that every time my computer goes to sleep and then wakes up it has a real hard time connecting again. I'm not sure if that is just somethign that I'll have to deal with or if it is something that I can correct. If you have any info on what to do that would be great.

As for choosing the Lynksystem product over the mac I dissagree. For me just the look of the product makes it worth the extra few bucks and its made by apple! :) and isn't that who were all supporting here?

Chris

OP
L

LaurenSel83

question

Hi. I was just reading the response you gave to this question. I am in the same situation as the person who originally asked the question. You seem to know what you're talking about so I thought maybe you'd be able to answer some questions for me.

Is it necessary to buy the Airport card from apple or can you also buy one from linksys? Are they just for PCs?

And, if I used the airport on my powerbook would it all work fine if i had the linksys adapter for my pc laptop?

Sorry if I sound stupid. I'm just a new mac user and trying to get it all figured out.

Any other pointers are appreciated. Thanks!

Fomer said:
Airport and Aiport Extreme's only difference is the speed. I think you can figure out which runs faster. But the only way to see that speed is to buy the faster base station (please don't buy one from apple they are a total rip on price!) I'd go with Linksys that's what both me and tprnmonkey use (probably more folks).

I went with Extreme, and the faster base station. And I reach my full speed "according to my isp and speed test" Granted we have a smallish home and I don't take it outside.

As for the configuring.... there is none! :) Just buy either Airport or Airport E. install them with the instuctions (if you aren't computer swavvy or too good with instructions Apple store people do it for like 15-20 bucks.

Then if was rich I would def pick up apples base station. :D Otherwise I'd go to Radio Shack and pick up Linksys Wireless Router (the one that coresponds with your card) 79. for the normal card and the 120 router for the airport extreme (prices may very from store to store)

As for the configuring... there is none. Come on plug in the router to your cable box, restart your laptop. And you'll be connected, I didn't have to type one thing one or configure one thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
LaurenSel83 said:
Is it necessary to buy the Airport card from apple or can you also buy one from linksys? Are they just for PCs?

And, if I used the airport on my powerbook would it all work fine if i had the linksys adapter for my pc laptop?

Sorry if I sound stupid. I'm just a new mac user and trying to get it all figured out.

Any other pointers are appreciated. Thanks!

1. You do have to buy apples Airport card because there are not any 3rd party adapters youc an use yet. Linksys doesn't have any support for macs

2. The Airport adapter works perfectly fine with a network of pcs using linksys adapters. In my house I am connected wired and wirelessly to a linksys network with 4 other pcs using windows and it works with no problems

OP
L

LaurenSel83

thanks.

trpnmonkey41 said:
1. You do have to buy apples Airport card because there are not any 3rd party adapters youc an use yet. Linksys doesn't have any support for macs

2. The Airport adapter works perfectly fine with a network of pcs using linksys adapters. In my house I am connected wired and wirelessly to a linksys network with 4 other pcs using windows and it works with no problems

thanks for a fast reply!!

I am going to order the airport card now. Thanks again.

OP
L

LaurenSel83

trpnmonkey41 said:

Just in case anyone else reads this I wanted to point out this:

"System Requirements:

The AirPort Card works only with AirPort-ready computers. AirPort Cards cannot be used in AirPort-Extreme ready computers with an AirPort Extreme Card slot.
Requires Mac OS X v10.1.5 (with networking update) or Mac OS X 10.2.7 or later and AirPort software version 3.1.1 or later to administer an AirPort Extreme Base Station.
Wireless printing over USB requires Mac OS X v10.2.7 or later."

My powerbook is brand spankin' new so it is airport extreme ready, I will need to purchase an airport extreme card, correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
yep all powerbooks from after the september revision use the Airport Extreme Card

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.