2010 iMac Screens went black.

Reaction score
Guys -- need some help. I was working in my bootcamp partition in my iMac 11,3 for my job when, while I was watching a video, the screen went black, the fans slowed down and the machine shut off. able to restart and get display, but not sure what's going on.
I put macs fan control on the machine and it says that the LCD proximity sensor is reading 157 degrees F. That might be a problem, but I don't know what the normal temp should be.
I Can anyone help me out/suggest anything? Is something overheating, or a bad part, etc?

I'm currently running stuff in OS X -- no problems so far. LCD temp sensor 159-160.5.

The problem in windows occurred twice within about 20 minutes or so. Kind of sucks because i need the bootcamp partition for work.

Anyone have this problem before, and any suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If the video was Flash, that would be a real load on the GPU, which might be overheating. A 2010 iMac is pretty old and may be full of dust, which makes it worse for heating. The heating wouldn't be in the LCD but in the GPU (or even CPU).

OP
S
Reaction score
It may have been. The thing is that the line I clicked on played some videos, but in order to use the app being demonstrated the internet had to be shut off. I was wondering how that would happen, given that I checked the internet connection and it was off, so somehow the vids must have been playing in some other way, since it was a you tube video. I've been running the mac now in OS X, for about an hour, and nothing has happened.

By the way, when I open up the computer to change the hard disks, how should I blow out the dust? Should I orient the computer a certain way? And how do I clear the fans of dust, and/or how do I get to them? I know the Optical drive fan is pretty straightforward, but how do I get to the CPU fan? I think it's behind the logic board or something like that (never opened up the machine before.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would suggest checking at ifixit.com for your model to see how to get into the machine. I don't think there is any special way, just make sure the screen is well away from where the dust goes because you don't want any dust between display and the glass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
just make sure the screen is well away from where the dust goes because you don't want any dust between display and the glass.

And wear super clean lint free gloves when handling the glass. You don't want to leave any finger prints on the glass. :Oops:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.