iMac Logic Board - Something's blown - with pics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 21.5 inch iMac EMC 2544 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i7, Fusion Drive ( 1TB HDD + 128 GB Flash RAM)
Hello all,

This is the Logic Board of my iMac.

I'd like to know what has blown here if anyone can help. Capacitor ? Fuse ? Part/Item number ?

And most importantly, can it be fixed, or do I need a new/replacement Logic Board.

All help is appreciated.

Thank you

2012 iMac EMC 2544, 3.1GHz Intel Core i7-3770-s, Fusion Drive with 128GB SSD.

Logic Board fused -2.jpg

Logic Board fused -1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Replace the logic board. A burn that intensive may well have fried multiple circuits in the layers of the board itself, and the electrical shock from that failure could have rippled into other chips on the board burning them out inside. Just replace the whole thing.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That looks like a resistor to me, I went to iFixit and found this picture. Unfortunately it's not high enough resolution to see all the details, but it's a resistor with a black band (you can compare it other similar ones).

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 21.5 inch iMac EMC 2544 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i7, Fusion Drive ( 1TB HDD + 128 GB Flash RAM)
Thanks MacInWin, do you recon it might have damaged the processor or the SSD too. I could end up throwing good money after bad.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks RazOrEdge, it might be worth splashing a few quid to get this replaced, before buying a replacement Logic Board. It might not work, but it might be worth a bit of extra effort.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Is the iMac not working right now with this blown part? If so and you are good with soldering, you might find a replacement for it, otherwise you're looking at a logicboard replacement which is pricy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks RazOrEdge, it might be worth splashing a few quid to get this replaced, before buying a replacement Logic Board. It might not work, but it might be worth a bit of extra effort.

Make sure you're not throwing good ££ after bad. That logic board is going to be expensive even if you should locate one on eBay. You may be money ahead by selling the 2012 iMac for parts and replacing it with a newer model. You really have no idea what else was taken out when the resistor blew. After replacing the logic board you may be faced with other problems.

Reaction score
Make sure you're not throwing good ££ after bad. That logic board is going to be expensive even if you should locate one on eBay. You may be money ahead by selling the 2012 iMac for parts and replacing it with a newer model. You really have no idea what else was taken out when the resistor blew. After replacing the logic board you may be faced with other problems.

I agree, you don't know how many other components that resistor may have taken out with it. Also, that resistor blew for a reason, it may be more than just the resistor that was bad. On the other hand, if you are handy with the solder iron, clean it up and see the damage done. Try find a replacement and pop it in. If it works, you're lucky. If not, I wouldn't go any further with it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In all my years doing electronic repairs on government equipment and consumer stuff, I've never seen a burned out resistor that wasn't caused by a current overload somewhere else. And that usually means damage elsewhere. Follow the advice given by Jake (Post #2).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.