Lexmark X6170

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I have a powerbook G4 and I was trying to convince my parents to get a Mac Mini. Then they asked if the printer (Lexmark X6170 All in One) would work with it. I assumed that since Apple recently released the adds about how everything just "works" with a Mac that I would just be able to plug it in to my powerbook and show them it would work fine with a Mac Mini. well that was not the case. I have been googling this problem for a while now and it seems that there really is no solution. Maybe the solution would be to use several different drivers for different parts of the printer since it is a scanner/printer/copier/fax all together.

Thanks for the help in advance.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Once you plug the printer in did you define the printer using the printer utility?

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Printer Utility

Yes I opened the printer utility and it recoginized the printer as a X6100. But then it required a driver set I wanted to use. So I selected Lexmark, then it asked which Lexmark model, so I searched the extensive list of lexmark products which did not include the X6170 or any X6100 series printer.

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:mad:

Lexmark sent me back this email...

"Please accept my heartfelt apologies for the problems you are experiencing
with your Lexmark product. To the best of my knowledge, there are currently
no plans to develop Mac drivers to support this model. Thank you for
notifying us of this request. I will forward your comments on to our
development department, as it is only through input from you, our
customers, that we can make these important business decisions."

So there is nothing I can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"new" iMac 20"
Still the same...

I just bought an iMac and wanted to connect my Lexmark X6170. I emailed Lexmark and they gave me the same stock answer as in the previous post (word for word!). I guess we know what that means. Give up and buy a new printer. How many months is it until Christmas? :Grimmace:

mew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 24" display, 3.06GHz processor, 500GB hard drive
lexmark x6170 printer problems

I also just bought an iMac yesterday and wanted to connect my Lexmark X6170 all in one printer. I was unhappy to learn that I could not just click on the print driver and start printing. I was not able to get any help on this from Apple except I was told to call Lexmark.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem or do I have to also go buy a new printer also?:(

Reaction score
I visit alot of thrift stores and see lots of Lexmark printers. That tells me they have issues and to stay away from them. Good luck to ya.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I also just bought an iMac yesterday and wanted to connect my Lexmark X6170 all in one printer. I was unhappy to learn that I could not just click on the print driver and start printing. I was not able to get any help on this from Apple except I was told to call Lexmark.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem or do I have to also go buy a new printer also?:(

If Lexmark hasn't developed a driver, then you're reliant on third parties to do so. According to this site, one can use a Lexmark Z55 driver for partial functionality (you'd need to manually choose this from the list of drivers). If that doesn't work, or if the printer doesn't have all the support you're looking for, you're probably going to want to pick up a new printer.

In my experience, although Lexmark's printers perform well, the drivers are usually overly-complex (i.e. the "brains" of the printer are in software to cut cost) and the cartridges are prohibitively expensive. So, in the long run, you might be better off just going with a different brand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.