Not allowed to buy a Mac?? ***

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
Parents dissagree about MAc

Ok, I have been saving for a long time ( almost there ) and tried not to let my mum find out about it just incase it gets "borrowed" ;)

I was at Pcworld :rolleyes: a while ago having a look at their pcs ( not buying by the way ) and i saw this lovely looking beautiful thing standing out in a display.. it was an iMac... mmm best thing ive ever looked at .. been saving since then :eek: but they only come with 256mb ram and from the Apple online store i could get 512mb I thought.. now I asked my dad what he thought recently.. he said that I dont need it because i have a good pc, dont need it,what would i do with it , they are too dear / rip off / waste of money + nowhere to put it and having just got a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ and 1GB ram

Well It was super high quality and seems you get what you pay for :) I also desperately want OS X :D And of course its not a waste of money:mad: And im really fed up with ugly old windoze

Having thought.. there wouldnt happen to be a newer model coming out soon in early 2004 would there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Hang in there

I know how you feel... You might say my parents......well aren't "technological" people... They like old fashioned things....On the other hand, I am a technological freak...I love anything that makes me be lazier or ust life easier....I am running a Dell Dimension 8200, 2.0 GHz, only 256 MB Ram(and its killin me). I wanna get the Dual 1.8 GHz G5, 1 GB Ram but god that price tag! I know exactly how you feel....Hang in there.....I still haven't switched but I know its a whole different world...A good World....The Apple World

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There will be something new from Apple in 2004, But it is any body's guess to what it is. I am guessing at the show in MWSF. the xserve line will be updated.

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i think the microsoft world sucks anyway ;) :rolleyes:

they seem to copy everything that apple puts into their OS then change the colors of it

my mum just said im not happy with what ive got.. if i had an iMac i wouldnt need anything else :D

my new HDD based mp3 player is compatible with OS 8.6 and up it says.. thats a good thing.. also my camera does too

K

Kreza

ApplejustWorks said:
I know how you feel... You might say my parents......well aren't "technological" people... They like old fashioned things....On the other hand, I am a technological freak...I love anything that makes me be lazier or ust life easier....I am running a Dell Dimension 8200, 2.0 GHz, only 256 MB Ram(and its killin me). I wanna get the Dual 1.8 GHz G5, 1 GB Ram but god that price tag! I know exactly how you feel....Hang in there.....I still haven't switched but I know its a whole different world...A good World....The Apple World

Im lucky, my DAD is technological n ****, I got my brand new ibook, which ive been saving up for ages for, I am never going to buy another windows box ever again (maybe if i get paid by M$ and only if its all their money :D) slap your dad and say its your money and you can do whatever you want.

If that doesn't work persuade them, say you will run away from home (i am not taking liability if you actually do)

Stake your school grades on it, all I did was find a cheap one on ebay.. !!

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my dad got a dvd rw for his pc and its "almost" gonna work and in the end its better off buying a working thing.. eg mac :D

he like having the latest stuff too but he's never tried a mac and he says he doesnt want to and doesnt care

one bad thing is he is the only way i can order it through.. :( unless i went to a shop and got it.. they seem to have no extra ram options though

J

jerodhusvar

Graeme43 said:
my dad got a dvd rw for his pc and its "almost" gonna work and in the end its better off buying a working thing.. eg mac :D

he like having the latest stuff too but he's never tried a mac and he says he doesnt want to and doesnt care

one bad thing is he is the only way i can order it through.. :( unless i went to a shop and got it.. they seem to have no extra ram options though

Don't let not having options on memory stop you from buying your Mac. Any monkey with a grounding strap can install memory. :) And you can puirchase memory from other places much cheaper than you're going to pay from Apple.

Hang in there!

Jerod

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing i do notice is that mac users seem to be more friendly than them pc users that tend to laugh more than help at people who have problems :rolleyes:

:)

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OMG!! i just watched Apples Panther video on their homepage :D:D:D:D

J

jerodhusvar

Graeme43 said:
One thing i do notice is that mac users seem to be more friendly than them pc users that tend to laugh more than help at people who have problems :rolleyes:

:)

I don't know that that is actually the case. I think what is actually going on is that Mac users are more technilogically aware of how their machines and operating systems work. So if you try to get a PC user to help you, they may just not KNOW what to tell you, and so they blow you off.

And, to let a cat out of the bag... I am primarily a PC user. I have an iMac, and I use a G4 and a G5 every day at work, and I provide tech support for macs. But, I will help someone with a PC problem just as fast as I'll help someone with a Mac problem. I guess the fact that I have been repairing computers professionally for 15 years, and I've been a computer hobbiest for 25 years, I feel that computers have been good to me. So I help other people as best as I can.

Boy am I gonna get it when Murlyn finds out I'm primarily a PC dude. :)

Jerod

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That Mac video was awesome.. now i dont know if i need ibook or an imac :D or both ;)

Now ill need to sell everything

is there any more videos demonstrating Panther?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
jerodhusvar are you insane! What got into you? There is something wrong with you, most definitely! Let me check your pulse! hmm.. I need to check your temperature.. ok bend over.. yeah that's the way the PC world treats you! *grin* Ok I just had to say that because of your crack with me in it :)

Graeme43 get the iMac if you don't need the portability. Believe me when I say that if you purchase the mac eventually your dad will want to check it out and then you'll have a hard time convincing him to keep buying pc's after he's experienced your mac. It might take awhile before he gets used to it.. if he gives it a fair chance that is.

Plus if you tell your nearby apple store, or any other store that online it comes with more memory, a lot of places will throw it in so that you will buy from them.

Cheers!

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im gonna try to go for it when ive fully saved.. unless there is a get now... pay later option right now as im a little short at the moment :(

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My dad has one... muhahah :D;)

thats what i'd use

i had a look on apples student discounts thingies but my schools not listed :(

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im bored and really want an iMac and im 15 and dont have a job so cant really get one for a while :( that sucks

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well that worked good.. my sister turned the houses power off and my xp wont boot :rolleyes: now i have to use my linux boot disk for the rest of the year

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My dad also said

they may be good machines but

you can even do more with linux than you can with a mac

not a lot of software companies make stuff for the mac

can you play half-life and unreal tournament on them - im sure there would be mac versions

ill never have enough for a good one

are any actually true? :rolleyes:

K

Kreza

Graeme43 said:
My dad also said

they may be good machines but

you can even do more with linux than you can with a mac

not a lot of software companies make stuff for the mac

can you play half-life and unreal tournament on them - im sure there would be mac versions

ill never have enough for a good one

are any actually true? :rolleyes:

I didn't buy my iBook to play games on, sure the occasional DVD when im on the road or something, but nothing else than internet, web design, and working. If you want to get a mac and dont havbe enough dont be put off by the low specs (they aren;t really) I mean you can pic up a old imac on ebay for like $200, just put it in your room, play games on consoles. I have an X-Box, I know... I know... but I love online and as i said I did not buy my mac for games and Xbox is the only one with good online features. Anyway as I was saying an old iMac is great for your first mac, this is my 1 as in, which I've bought but I have also had a Powermac G3 and an old iMac. I saw a great G3 iMac it was white, I think they called it snow. It was G3 500, 10 gig HDD, 256 mb Ram 15" monitor, that would be awesome for like $250 - $300, also if you are based in the UK try searching for macs on Ebay.COM the US Ebay becuase Macs are much cheaper their, thats where I got my iBook for around £200 cheaper than I could have got on Ebay.co.uk

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.