iPhone4: just set passcode - now phone won't accept it.....

Reaction score
I don't believe this.. I was setting the passcode to my iPhone4 and now the phone won't accept the passcode I set or the default passcode, "immediately" (I saw it in the settings, that's what it is..)

and when I look up how to recover your passcode it says you have to erase all the data in your phone..
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306
is this a joke? HELP.....

(I keep trying to get back to the phone by typing the default passcode 'immediately' (4 6 6 3 3 4 2 8 3 5 9)

but it says always phone is "disabled -- try again in [x] minutes" (always a diff. no. of minutes....)

HELP.... PLEASE.....

thank you......

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have your iPhone 4 backed up? If you do, reset the phone and then restore from backup. Also, what kind of passcode did you setup? In order to set a new passcode on your iPhone you must first enter the old passcode.

There is no such thing as a "default passcode" for an iPhone. So, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

OP
K
Reaction score
it never asked me for an old passcode.. I had never set a passcode...

I saw in settings, that the passcode, before I set it, was "immediately", and saw this mentioned online at various sites too, when I searched here for solutions.. oh brother..

no, I don't have the data backed up... :-(((

but: I did manage to recover the photos... with ImageCapture.. I just imported them to my computer... even though access to the phone is supposedly blocked, weird....

thank you.. oh man. I don't believe this.. all my contacts, W-A conversations, texts, all will be gone once I'm done here? sorry, this is absolutely lousy programming design.. there should be a way to reset/recover the passcode w/o losing all your data.. this is ridiculous.....

thank you for your response...

PS: now it says: "try again in 60 minutes...." I don't believe this....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think you learned a valuable lesson. Always backup! At least you got your photos back. :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
When you say, "there should be a way to reset/recover the passcode w/o losing all your data" you are being a bit harsh. There are several ways to reset and recover you data you can backup to iCloud or iTunes and erase, reset then restore your data. If you don't do that then like anyone who carries a portable device you are at risk of loosing all.

OP
K
Reaction score
thank you for your responses....

yes, you're right, I didn't back up (I'm a bit wary of putting my personal data on remote servers..) but I still think it's "a bit harsh" of Apple to have designed these phones in such a way that the only way to reset your passcode is to erase the phone.. this is a bit extreme, and, I'm sure, not even technically necessary.... it's like applying a sledgehammer to... you get my drift....

(is the case also with computers? you have to erase your hard drive to reset your computer password?)

oh well....:-((

OP
K
Reaction score
so I connected it to iTunes...

it prompted me to do a backup.. I backed up to iCloud.. but it never asked me for a uid/pswd for iCloud (I have never done anything on iCloud..)

is it the same creds as for the Apple ID acct? how can I go to iCloud and verify the iPhone backup I just did is there?
(I mean on the computer browser, obviously can't do anything on the iPhone..)

thank you...

PS: you can also backup to your computer.. interesting.. I didn't know that....
(but it didn't ask me where on the computer to put the backup.. now I have no idea where it is.. also, it did it way too fast.. I can't imagine it did a proper backup..)

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
well well whaddayaknow.... I got most of the data back... heh heh... here
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306
it says that if you didn't back up before the phone got blocked you would lose everything (since the last backup..) but that is simply not the case...

I did a backup once the phone was already blocked (and had never done a backup before), and then after restoring the phone it restored that same backup.. and got everything back, contacts, even the apps I had installed were automatically installed again.... photos also are all still there.... (the only thing that wasn't there is a lot of the WhatsApp data, but I didn't do "backup apps" when backing up.. I just thought the W-A data would be saved on their servers... yikes.... but everything else I got back.. not bad....

:) :) :)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The reason you were able to backup the phone without a passcode contrary to the article you read is because it is an iPhone 4. With the iPhone 6 and above running iOS 11 and I imagine you have iOS 8 or 9, the security measures are a lot more stringent. For example you would need to turn off Find My Iphone (Apple ID) to reset the phone and you would need to put in your passcode to restore it from a backup.
As for WhatsApp you need to choose to backup chats to iCloud option from within the app.
I'm glad you managed to get it back up and running.
If you don't like having stuff in iCloud you can backuo to your computer as you have noticed. You can also encrypt your backups to iCloud keeping all your personal data like passwords intact and safe.
I would suggest you refresh your memory as to your Apple ID user name and password and set a Passcode for your phone again an write it down somewhere safe because when you eventually update your devices they will become more and more important.. my iPhone 7 for example requires a 6 digit passcode which needs to be entered once after switching the phone off to restart, even though I have touch ID enabled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
my iPhone 7 for example requires a 6 digit passcode which needs to be entered once after switching the phone off to restart, even though I have touch ID enabled.

Not doubting this and I don't own such a modern device, but it doesn't seem to agree with all that I have read about the password and touch ID and how they can work.

Just saying… :eek:

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Not doubting this and I don't own such a modern device, but it doesn't seem to agree with all that I have read about the password and touch ID and how they can work.

Just saying… :eek:

- Patrick
======

You are correct, Patrick, in saying that the matter is more complicated than first appears from the various articles on the subject.

On my iPhone 7, I need to input a six number passcode after shutting it down. Also at the start of any update or upgrade. It will also be needed before a restore.

In addition, I find that on a random basis, a passcode is needed “to enable Touch ID “.

On my iPad Pro, if I’ve not used it for a few hours or maybe as long as a day, a passcode is mandatory, whereas if I’m on and off the device, Touch ID is fine. I do still get random requests for the passcode as with the iPhone 7. And the update, upgrade and resets require a passcode as stated above re my iPhone.

Security, I guess.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Security, I guess.

And a lot of extra paranoia as well it seems and an inconvenience PITA if all that is really necessary.

Maybe our older devices and iOS aren't so bad and with simpler "security" to deal with.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since iPhones are very popular items for thieves, we can't complain about the additional security required. There are even underground web sites that offer ways around a locked iPhone or a banned IMEI number. And it seems folks are careless about where they leave or use their iPhone. The other day at a local supermarket the lady in front of me paid for her items and then was distracted and went off leaving her iPhone open and activated on the counter. I had to shout to her and remind her that her phone was left behind. A popular place to steal iPhones, Macs, iPads, etc are at universities and colleges. Probably also at high schools since nowadays even high schoolers carry around a phone.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a thing though. I admit I don't do app reviews too often but it used to annoy the heck out if me that despite already having the app open I had to log in to to do a review. Last night I wrote a review for a great little free app called Timer+. It allows you to create a list of countdown timers for known times. For example, it takes exactly 7.5 min for my coffee percolator to finish. I can either hover around for that time or constantly look at my watch. Now I can set an forget till the alarm goes off. I assume that this change was part of a recent update but I'm not sure which.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Rod
Here's a thing though. …

Just wondering if your post was meant for somewhere else Rod???
It seems it might be misplaced here or I'm just not understanding something.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
it never asked me for an old passcode.. I had never set a passcode...

I saw in settings, that the passcode, before I set it, was "immediately", and saw this mentioned online at various sites too, when I searched here for solutions.. oh brother..

no, I don't have the data backed up... :-(((

but: I did manage to recover the photos... with ImageCapture.. I just imported them to my computer... even though access to the phone is supposedly blocked, weird....

thank you.. oh man. I don't believe this.. all my contacts, W-A conversations, texts, all will be gone once I'm done here? sorry, this is absolutely lousy programming design.. there should be a way to reset/recover the passcode w/o losing all your data.. this is ridiculous.....

thank you for your response...

PS: now it says: "try again in 60 minutes...." I don't believe this....

I think after the 60 minutes and you still get it incorrect your data will be done for,
it will say
'iPhone is disabled
Connect to iTunes'
I don't know because I never had an iDevice disabled like that. I have had one disabled though for 60 minutes. I NEARLY HAD ONE DISABLED UNTIL I HAD TO RESET.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you would prefer a system where anyone could reset your password and access all of your data? This is not lousy programming this is personal security driven by consumers not developers. There are multiple ways of backing up your data and we are constantly encouraged to use them. Don't get me wrong, I sympathise with your situation but with any smart phone today, androids are the same, you must backup your data somewhere, either locally or online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think after the 60 minutes and you still get it incorrect your data will be done for,
it will say
'iPhone is disabled
Connect to iTunes'
I don't know because I never had an iDevice disabled like that. I have had one disabled though for 60 minutes. I NEARLY HAD ONE DISABLED UNTIL I HAD TO RESET.

I think if you check, the OP got their problem sorted out about six months ago according to the forum subject post dates.

But Rod's suggestion to have a proper backup sure doesn't hurt and should be flogged until it finally sinks in to all users.

And no, it's not just a ploy by the storage manufacturers to sell more products. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.