Create a Second account with independent installation folder

Reaction score
Hi, I was looking to have a secondary account on my mac book pro independent from the first one in order to operate clean and safe with crypto currencies. So I have generate a seconddary administrator account ....

After the account was ready I have installe one software "wallet" in this new clean account I was thinking to have done a perfect operation. O:)

Later I log back to the main account and suddenly I have notice that the wallet software was also present in this account! :Angry-Tongue::Angry-Tongue::Angry-Tongue::Angry-Tongue: So I was wondering why!!! So I was thinking maybe it is a duplicator has it happen when we install a new app on iphone and later this app is present on the ipad ... But no it wasn't like that, the wallet software was the same ... fortunately no coins are yet in there so I decided to uninstall the software and come here. :D

So my question is; Is possible to install the new software in my second account of my osx mac book pro independently from the other account? If so can you show me how step by step?

Thank you

Mark

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are two Applications folders. The top level one in "/Applications" is system/user-wide. There is also, a user-specific Applications folder as well. Most DMG files that have the nice arrow and Applications folder icon are defaulting to the system-wide one. So once you install the application that way, you'll want to open up Finder and then drag the application out of /Applications and into your local Applications folder.

Now, each user will only have access to their applications and both will have access to system-wide applications.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind replay. I have create another applications inside the New User folder (the second account) and installed the application there it seems to work! I hope this is ok

Thank you

Mark

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That should be fine. The beauty of Mac applications is that everything that is needed to operate is within that folder itself, it doesn't sprinkle anything outside of that folder, so keeping the single folder (just the icon is visible in Finder), makes it work from any place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
But, you might need to move it back temporarily to its original "home" Apps folder when you upgrade it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.