Word: Delete and Reinstall?

Reaction score
I recently bought Microsoft Office 2016 on one of those "key card" things you get at Best Buy. I did the Install and everything went fine.

Then, I did an Update, and now Word is running slower. I'd like to delete Word (or all of Microsoft Office) and re-do the Install.

Questions:

1) Can you re-use a Key Card if you are the original owner re-using it on the original device?

2) If I do a re-Install, will I likely wind up with the Update that I am trying to get rid of?

Many thanks. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can remove and reinstall MS Office as many times as you wish provided you have the activation key in your possession and have not installed it on more than one Mac. As far as updates to Office 2016 go, that's up to you. But keep in mind that some of the updates to Office 2016 are necessary. The latest update to Office 2016 according to Microsoft is critical so you be the judge of what you wish to do.

And... you're the first person I have heard from that mentioned the latest update to Office 2016 causes Word to run slower. We know that Office 2016 is a very large application so it's possible that the latest update has added complexity to running it. Perhaps reinstalling it will work for you. Let us know.

OP
M
Reaction score
You can remove and reinstall MS Office as many times as you wish provided you have the activation key in your possession and have not installed it on more than one Mac. As far as updates to Office 2016 go, that's up to you. But keep in mind that some of the updates to Office 2016 are necessary. The latest update to Office 2016 according to Microsoft is critical so you be the judge of what you wish to do.

And... you're the first person I have heard from that mentioned the latest update to Office 2016 causes Word to run slower. We know that Office 2016 is a very large application so it's possible that the latest update has added complexity to running it. Perhaps reinstalling it will work for you. Let us know.

Thanks for this.

I wish I were not such a klutz when it comes to all this stuff. I'm afraid I'm going to screw things up. But I'll let you know.

Thanks again. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
By the way, when I did the Update, I only Updated the Word part, not the other three (Powerpoint, Excel, and the other one).

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I only Updated the Word part

Is that possible? I didn't know that.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.