MS Office..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
I have Office for Mac 2016. It used to have templates for business letters, letterheads, stationary etc. Now about all that's left are blank pages and resumes. After my SSD change and restore, the templets are gone. I don't know if Microsoft has, under the guise of updates, removed those options to steer people to using Office 365 or some other pay for play program. If that is the case, it seems wrong to take away something that I've already paid for. Any guesses??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I'm aware, all the basic templates provided by MS for Office 2016 have not been removed by any update. The latest update to MS Office 2016 actually brings the stand alone version of Office more in line with Office 365. This was implemented by MS due to strong user demand.

The below is an answer to a question by a user who also lost his templates: (From the MS Mac Office forums)

A:

Hi Andrew,

Yes, you are right. The template path in Word 2016 for Mac is changed to /Users/<username>/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Templates.

Let us know.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to show my lack of knowledge here...if/when I find this folder, how do I get them back?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why don't you find the folder first and make sure the templates are there. If they're really missing, the only way to get the default templates back is to reinstall MS Office 2016. Microsoft does have a web page where you can download a myriad of free Office templates of every nature. They have everything from letters to special templates for flyers, brochures, and just about anything you could ever need.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
working on finding it now...thanks

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate it when ignorance raises it's head...how do I get to that path? cI've done it before but it escapes me at the moment..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I navigate to my user library on my Mac?

1. Hold down the Option key while clicking the Go menu, and your Library folder magically appears.

or

2. Use the open command in Terminal Launch Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities ) from within your own account, type open ~/Library , and press Return to open the folder in the Finder.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well...the Option key doesn't believe in magic....and the terminal command comes back with No such file or directory. Does it matter if this is a MBP (new last August) instead of an iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Terminal is very fussy, make sure you enter exactly as chscag shows it,

open ~/Library

Upper case, spacing, everything is critical.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing...I even cut/paste your example

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, let's try it this way:

Open your Terminal app. (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal)

In the terminal paste the following:

chflags nohidden ~/library

Press the enter key. Then exit the terminal. (close it)

Your user library will now show up. Remember, it's your user library not the system library. Now find your templates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I thought I had a possible answer to the OP as I recently experienced the 'same problem'. The answers above just prove me wrong, however, in the interests of giving everyone a laugh I'll continue.

I've been using a couple of Word documents based on templates for some 8 or 9 years (actually to be strictly accurate having used an original template to set up my invoices etc I simply amend the previous month's version). Since changing my phone number I went to update that on my forms and found it impossible as that section was protected. Ah! Lightbulb moment... I obviously needed to amend the original template but where were they? Word had simply swallowed them, never to be seen again. This caused much consternation until hours later I discovered that the original templates were from Pages and several years ago I had simply saved documents based on these templates as Word docs and used them in that way every since. Perhaps it's time to seek out suitable Word templates in case I have the same problem again in a few years time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps it's time to seek out suitable Word templates in case I have the same problem again in a few years time.

MS probably has a template already formatted that you can use. You can even use Office templates from Windows if you have them. Here's the link where you can download templates for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks for the link chscag. Aware of the templates in my Word but the link is much clearer.

OP
SleeperSS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I'm going to do the same. I finally found the templets folder, but only a couple that I had modified and saved.

Thanks for all of the help/suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.