Sending MP3 file via Skype 8.13

Reaction score
In an all-too-common problem these days, Skype wasn't broken, they tried to fix it, and there are multiple annoying things about it now.

I teach English via Skype. For one student, I record myself reading from a book and send him MP3 files of it. Formerly, he could simply download the files, but now, MP3 files through Skype can only be played within Skype -- there appears to be no way to download them from Skype. I suppose this was meant as a way to limit music piracy, and of course such measures always take a toll on those of us not breaking the law.

Am I overlooking something? Is there a way to download MP3s sent via new Skype? Or do I need to start sending him email attachments/Dropbox links instead?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's a DRM and piracy thing which is limiting what you can now send thru Skype. You probably can't use email because the MP3 files will be too large to attach and send. Dropbox would work or Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. Your students would of course have to have access to the same.

Reaction score
work around?

It's a DRM and piracy thing which is limiting what you can now send thru Skype. You probably can't use email because the MP3 files will be too large to attach and send. Dropbox would work or Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. Your students would of course have to have access to the same.

Is that the only work around? the funny thing is, other skype users can do it. The one who sent me the file can do it, but when I send back a modified file to him, the recording/mp3 is now showing only the PLAY button, and not a DOWNLOAD button. I haven't asked on what version his skype or mac is, but mine is the latest; mac: sierra, 10.13.1 (17B1003), Skype version 8.18.0.6

Please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Find out about your friends macOS and Skype versions, this will help diagnose where the problem is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.