Can iPhoto with 20k photos cause macPro to be slower than before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can, as Patrick said, download the installer, cancel it when and if it starts, then use something like DiskmakerX to create a bootable installer USB stick. Then backup, boot from the USB Stick, install the OS, restore from the backup. I didn't suggest that first because it really doesn't save any steps in the long run. The advantage is that if it doesn't work for any reason, you can still boot from the USB stick to try again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You can, as Patrick said, download the installer, cancel it when and if it starts, then use something like DiskmakerX to create a bootable installer USB stick.

Actually, I've never bothered using any DiskmakerX type utility or USB flash drive.

I've just moved the OS X installer to an "Install Stuff" folder I keep on my hard drive and then just used it from there to install the OS X version onto another Mac volume or just copy it over and then run it.

I never had any problems doing it that way.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If he’s got something bootable, that works. But a brand new drive won’t boot. A CCC clone would boot and let you do what you suggest, but then one MIGHT have to mess with boot settings later. I think not, but you mentioned it.

OP
K
Reaction score
When using either Internet Recovery or installing from USB do I have to install original OS (Snow Leopard) and then later upgrade to High Sierra?

Or can simply install High Sierra?

OP
K
Reaction score
When I wanted to download High Sierra from itunes on my MacBook it showed the message it is not possible because I have 10.6.8

Is there any other way to download it ?

OP
K
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I just would like to thank you all for your help here. I managed to upgrade my MBP and I can see improvement in speed which is great.

I am still on Snow Leopard and as I mentioned in my earlier post I am happy with it. However more often I have slight issues with apps I use and that they cant be used on Snow Leopard. For example Chrome, Picbackman and couple others. This is basically the only reason I would like to upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra.

But I would like to also ask if there is any significant improvement in performance when switching from Snow Leopard to High Sierra?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
That is a big leap, going from Snow Leopard to High Sierra. Maybe you should try El Capitan, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886, and make a 60-80gb partition to install it onto so you can test it before going full speed ahead to High Sierra.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.