RAW Files

Reaction score
Hi

I recently got an iPhone X for work which has inspired me to resume photography as the camera on it is pretty good. I used to be a photographer but gave it up a few years back but I'm intrigued by the iPhone's capabilities.

Anyway, I wanted to use RAW and to this end I bought a couple of camera apps ( Manual and ProCamera ) however, I can't seem to get them to shoot RAW. I select it in the apps and it takes a picture but whenever I download it to my Mac via iCloud it comes out as JPEG. This is also the case when I use Google Photo.

I did get a couple of shots in RAW a couple of days ago when I bought the apps so I don't know if I've changed my phone settings or something but I can't find where I've done this.

Can anyone recommend what I could try?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Is there a phone/camera based setting wherein you can choose to shoot in RAW or JPEG format? With my Nikon camera, I set the format type on the camera, and then have to be sure my viewing/editing application (Lightroom 6.x) has the proper RAW "drivers" to use the camera specific image formats or can convert them from RAW to JPEG, or whatever. The viewing/editing app doesn't really "shoot" in RAW format. Then again, I could be completely missing what your question is.

OP
W
Reaction score
I believe I've worked out that the photo app in iOS will not store RAW files and I need to find another way. If I take a single shot with Halide then export it via Airdrop to my Mac, voilá, I have a RAW DNG file on my desktop. However this obviously isn't a solution for everyday shooting. I need to store these files in batches when I'm out and about until I get home and I'm ready to transfer a load of them to my Mac at once.

Unfortunately I cant figure out how to do this with Halide. I don't know if I'm getting too old, but I find many apps just give you the barebones info to start then leave you to guess how they work and this seems to be the case here. I might be wrong and I'd welcome advice.

Anyway, I download ProCamera5 which actually does seem to allow you to keep a batch of RAW files separately from the IOS Photo App and then I can transfer them at once. TBH I would have preferred to like Halide but until I can get this to work, I can't.

OP
W
Reaction score
Well, here's the latest update. It's the way Photos stores RAW. It has a jpeg on top and you need to use the photos edit menu to get to the RAW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
That makes sense. Some DSLR cameras can be set to save both RAW and JPEG formats of a shot. Guess the iPhone can do it too?

OP
W
Reaction score
Yes it's just my unfamiliarity with the Photos app. Interestingly the camera apps I downloaded don't all do the same thing. While Halide and Procam ( it isn't Procamera 5 as I mistakenly said above ) store pictures as I suggested above, Manual simply transfers the RAW file to Photos without having to go through the additional step of selecting"Use RAW as Original" as you do with the other two.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.