how to install windows on bootcamp with windows 7 iso

Reaction score
Need help if anyone can give it --

installed win7 on bootcamp yesterday, but when I turned it on today it had a problem with configuring the updates (Which i should have NEVER installed, looking back). Got a message saying there was a failure configuring the updates and it was reverting the changes.

Got sick of waiting and turned off the computer, deleted the windows partition, and was going to start again.

Today i set the partition, etc, inserted the win7 disc, but it just hung there with "installing windows files." I thought something was wrong -- it just hung there. Stopped the machine , deleted the partition and tried this again, but now when I set the partition and insert the win7 disc, i get the chime and the white screen, but nothing. Tried this a few times. The drive is working fine -- I can play a dvd. I can on think that there's something wrong with the install disc, why I don't know since it worked fine yesterday. looked at it and there appears to be what looks like some mark or scratches on it; not sure if it was there before or something happened yesterday when I was putting it back in it's case.

Anyhoo...I read something about installing windows from an iso. I'm assuming that there's a problem with the win 7 disc, so I downloaded the win7 iso to a usb, and my hard drive. how can I use this to set up with bootcamp, if at all? I have an imac 2010 quad core i7, 2.93 ghz running el capitan. I can't seem to get another win7 install disc anywhere.

Am i out of luck? Anything I can do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What model Mac and operating system?

If whatever Mac you are using came with an optical drive, and is no newer than 2015, you will the need the original Windows 7 CD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have an imac 2010 quad core i7, 2.93 ghz running el capitan. I can't seem to get another win7 install disc anywhere.

You should be able to install Win 7 via the iso or DVD. If you need another Win 7 install DVD, check eBay. As long as you have your serial number (product ID for activation) all you need is the DVD.

However, what I don't understand is why you didn't use the Boot Camp assistant to erase the Windows partition and restore the hard drive to macOS? After that, you could run the Boot Camp assistant again to install Windows.

OP
S
Reaction score
You should be able to install Win 7 via the iso or DVD. If you need another Win 7 install DVD, check eBay. As long as you have your serial number (product ID for activation) all you need is the DVD.

However, what I don't understand is why you didn't use the Boot Camp assistant to erase the Windows partition and restore the hard drive to macOS? After that, you could run the Boot Camp assistant again to install Windows.

I did erase the windows partition each time, but there's something going on that I don't understand -- when I try to use the win 7 DVD nothing happens now; i just the chime and the white screen, but it doesn't start to load/install windows.

OP
S
Reaction score
So -- is there anything special i need to do to install from the iso? And how do I do it? Can I burn the iso to a dvd and use that?

I was just on ebay; they have rienstall discs -- is that different than a regular install disc, and if so, how?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lots of instructions on the web on how to do it. Here's one from the Apple forums. Note that most instructions are for placing the iso on a USB flash drive but you can also place the iso on a CD or DVD.

If you buy a disk from eBay, make sure it's genuine. I don't know what a reinstall disk is. Just look for an install disk that has the Microsoft Logo on it and should be for your version of Windows 7. In other words, your serial number sequence has to match the version. You can't use an install disk for Win 7 Pro and your serial number is for Win 7 standard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.