Performance Comparison, iMac G5 vs. Pentium IV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This is similar to a post I put in the PowerMac forum, but I think that this may be the more relevant formation of the question. I am trying to find an (sorry for the pun) apples-to-apples performance comparison of the Pentium and the 2 GHz G5. I think that the most unbiased comparison would be of a 2 GHz iMac G5 and a single core Pentium IV. This would be a single core to single core comparison, and would allow reasonable conclusions to be drawn about the performance of each chip.

Ultimately I am trying to figure out if a dual core Powermac G5 would be significantly faster at Photoshop than my current single core 3.0 GHz Pentium IV HT. The comparisons get complicated to figure out because of the fact that the Powermac G5 comes with at least 2 cores. When I see that its results are 50% better, I wonder if that is just because it has two cores, each at 2 GHz, thus bringing 4 GHz to bear on the problem vs. the 3.0 GHz that the Pentium would. In this case, you would expect the Powermac to do better, if you assume that a G5 GHz = a Pentium GHz (...and I know that this isn't true).

So, I am looking for a single core to single comparison. Were any performance "shoot outs" published between a G5 iMac and a single core Pentium?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Like I said in the other thread, do a google search for G5 vs Pentium 4 and you will get lots of results.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
baggss said:
Like I said in the other thread, do a google search for G5 vs Pentium 4 and you will get lots of results.

Thanks, you are right - LOTS of results. Still an amazing lack of clarity though...

After all my reading, it would appear that a generally true statement is that a 2.0 GHz dual core G5 is about equivalent to a 3.0 GHz Pentium D.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.