Powermac G5 vs. Pentium IV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I am trying to find a reasonably straightforward performance comparison the Powermac G5 to the Pentium IV. I realize that the Powermac G5 comes with at least a dual core, while the Pentium IV I have is a single core. I am trying to figure out, single core to single core, what the relative performance is.

Perhaps what I need is a comparison of a single core iMac G5 vs. a single core Pentium 4. Does anyone know of such a thing? I am really interested in buying a dual core Powermac G5 before they get replaced, but want to ensure that it will be signficantly faster than my existing 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 (I believe it will from what I have seen, but would like to find an unbiased study that shows this). Can anyone point me at such a study?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
You're speaking about two very different architectures, with two very different operating systems. Unfortunately, comparing them is very difficult. YOu can tell that by the many posts on this and on other forums. It often ended in a flame, and there never really is a real one-to-one comparison that is of any value.

The only way really would be having the possibility to use both, so you can judge by yourself if, for the tasks you do, either one is faster.

The PowerPC and Intel architecture are way too different to make a direct comparison by numbers, as each has it's strengths on different tasks. And the same goes for the differences between Windows and Mac OS X.

To make accurate comparisons on hardware you need to run the same OS and software on each platform (for example, OS X on an iMac G5 and iMac core duo). And, vice versa, to make an OS comparison that is worth anything, you need to run each OS and it's software on the exact same hardware (another example: WindowsXP and OS X on an iMac core duo).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
G5 is definitely faster than my pentium 3.0 HT....waiting for my new iMac to see the performance against the P4

D

doox00

goobimama said:
G5 is definitely faster than my pentium 3.0 HT....waiting for my new iMac to see the performance against the P4

athlon 64/athlon 64 x2 eats a p4 up, compare those over p4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.