Storage Wars!

Reaction score
Hey Mac Forum Users,

This is my first forum post so any feedback would be appreciated. I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro with a 2.3Ghz processor, 16G Memory and a 250G hard drive. I have no spare storage as my music and photos take up more that 2/3 of my HD. I have culled iPhoto for any video and iTunes for any excessively large files. I need to keep all that is there.

I currently can't download the newest OS because I am out of room as well the photos on my phone are really backing up! I can't find any other places to free up space and am open to suggestions.

Thanks for your consideration. :D

Erik.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Simples as the meerkat says.

You need a bigger hard drive as 250GB is miniscule.

OP
P
Reaction score
Bigger HD

I know I need a bigger HD but my understanding is that this is a sealed unit. I don't think I can replace the HD. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
P
Reaction score
An External Drive comes to mind, and maybe some iCloud storage use could help.

As for possibly replacing your drive, check with OMC in case they have some options:
https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/macbook-pro-15-inch-mid-2012-2.3-ghz

To check all the specs for your unit, select the matching mogel here:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html

- Patrick
======

Thanks Patrick. I'll have to look into these options. It looks like I might be able to upgrade by HD with either of these sites. I'm not sure how it would work but I appreciate the suggestions. I'm not super tech savvy but am sure I could figure it out.

Thanks,

Erik

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro with a 2.3Ghz processor, 16G Memory and a 250G hard drive.

I know I need a bigger HD but my understanding is that this is a sealed unit. I don't think I can replace the HD. Any other suggestions?

I think it would be best to clarify exactly what 2012 MacBook Pro you have. In 2012 was a transition year...models with replaceable/upgradeable "spinner" HD's AND models with less upgradeable stick SSD's were released.

If your MacBook Pro truly has a 250 gig spinner HD...then it is definitely replaceable & upgradeable.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This could be a 2012 15" 2.3ghz Retina MBP...with a stick SSD. If this is the case...it is replaceable & upgradeable...but not cheap.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
lol I nver suggested it was cheap Nick!

There were numerous drive combinations for the mid 2012 model MBP, SATA platter drives, SSD's, Flash Storage. The only models using the 256GB drives were Flash Storage and you can replace with a larger drive. Just a fifteen minute job. Here are various sizes from OWC. Also vieos non doing the job. The only problem is the price. Now hold your breath...............

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro-retina-display/2012-2013

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I would tend to go with Patrick's idea in the first instance given that the OP's HD/SSD is nearly full and, for practical purposes, verging on the unusable.

External Hard Drives (EHD) are cheap and readily available.

It is easy to copy-then-move the Photos library and iTunes library to an EHD and run them from there (details of how to do this can be given if required).

Perhaps the Documents Folder is also capacious and some of stuff in there could be moved - especially files not needed on a day-to-day basis.

Then future-proofing the Mac could be considered?

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would tend to go with Patrick's idea in the first instance given that the OP's HD/SSD is nearly full and, for practical purposes, verging on the unusable.

External Hard Drives (EHD) are cheap and readily available.

This would be my first choice as well.:) But some folks seem to feel that having all (or most) of their music, videos, and photo's available on a computers internal storage is absolutely vital! lol

Or they really have no idea how much space this stuff is taking up...until all the storage space is gone. Kind of like driving an automobile with no fuel gauge...and then eventually running out of gas in the middle of nowhere...not realizing that the vehicle was low on gas (or even needed gas to run)!;)

Actually many motorcycles are this way (no fuel gauge)...but some do have a low fuel light. So the rider needs to track the mileage via the odometer from tank full to tank full to know how far they can ride before needing more fuel. Same thing with a computer. A user should have a basic idea of how much storage space is being taken up...and should not be very surprised when the storage is getting full.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It just struck my old brain, but don't those 2012 MBPro models have a SDXC card slot and can't they be used for data as well as photos, and they can be had for a much cheaper cost/GB, like 128GB for under $20.00, which is half the current storage space the OP has now.

That would seem like a viable solution to me.

Oh yes, and at least a large enough storage at home for a backup. A HDD would be quite sufficient and reasonable cost.

PS: All the motorcycles I owned (English) all had a reserve gas tap/valve that could sure save one's fanny.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PS: All the motorcycles I owned (English) all had a reserve gas tap/valve that could sure save one's fanny.

Very true Patrick. I've never had to use my reserve tank...so I tend to forget it's there.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very true Patrick. I've never had to use my reserve tank...so I tend to forget it's there.:)

- Nick

You may want to use it sometime to make sure it works and isn't plugged with junk in the reserve tank area Nick.

PS: I haven't had a bike to ride for too many years, but it's too late to start again considering my current health state and body not working as it used to.

I had to use my youngest son's Suzuki Katana 600 crotch-rocket several years ago and it damned near killed me. I'll take my more preferred upright riding comfort any day thanks. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may want to use it sometime to make sure it works and isn't plugged with junk in the reserve tank area Nick.

Again very true & great advice. Haven't been able to ride it for a while. Needs a key part that's no longer available at any price (discontinued by the manufacturer)...and it's a longterm wear-type part...so not the best idea to purchase something that's used. Probably time to put it out to pasture...and get something newer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again very true & great advice. Haven't been able to ride it for a while. Needs a key part that's no longer available at any price (discontinued by the manufacturer)..

Well, that's a bummer, but I'd guess if you had a good, actually excellent machinist/fabricator/welder like my friend down the road here, they could fix you up pretty well.

What make, model and part??? Lot's of classic and oddball make bikers around this general area. PM me if you want me to inquire for you.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that's a bummer, but I'd guess if you had a good, actually excellent machinist/fabricator/welder like my friend down the road here, they could fix you up pretty well.

What make, model and part??? Lot's of classic and oddball make bikers around this general area. PM me if you want me to inquire for you.

It's an electrical/ignition part. Not something easily fabricated.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's an electrical/ignition part. Not something easily fabricated.

There must be something out there Nick that can at least be adapted, especially with all the various electronic options available these days.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.