Logic Pro X 10.3.3 : Changing Keys when using Loops

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.12.4. plus an older mac
Hello fellow members,

I would be grateful for any advice as to how to change my keys.

For example,, I have a loop in C for several measures. Then I would like to change the key in a new measure.

I split the track, click on the one I wish to change, go to the bottom of the Loop Browser where key change opportunities are offered...I have even taken the track I want to use up into a new area and the original key never changes.

I lack the vocabulary of a musician as I am an amateur.

My thanks in advance for any suggestions,

J

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
You’ll have to forgive me I’m a pro tools guy and occasional logic user (when it’s asked for) but as I recall it, you select the midi region and there’s an inspector window that has a transpose value. That’s the value you want to change.

If it’s not midi and it’s audio then you’re left to using pitch shifting which can have odd results (or cool ones depending on how you look at it :) )

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I did look there and played with the transpose choices.

However I am trying to take a loop that, let's say, starts in C, but then to change it as it goes along. such as C F G , etc. I am still looking at the bottom window and will continue poking around. It could be that although I am selecting the part of the track I wish to play with, I am missing something. Screenshot 2018-01-15 14.44.47.jpeg

PS. I am using an Alesis Q49 piano keyboard.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmmm, that doesn't look at all where I remember it. I think it's more specific like selecting the particular loop region, and in the inspector for that particular loop region there should be a transpose setting.

What you have there, looks to me to be settings for the whole song. It's a bit foggy for me I worked a lot in logic a couple years ao, now mostly straight audio in PT. I just recall the inspector window that dealt more specifically with what you have selected.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My thanks again Screenshot 2018-01-15 20.55.33.jpeg . I will poke around there a bit more and see what i can find.

Reaction score
If you click somewhere in the loop, it is cut short i believe? Then you can place different loops and cut them also, afaik i think... this is the cae in garageband at least

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just to be sure, you are trying to transpose a midi region correct? Because if it's audio, you have to use pitch shifting.

I'll see if I get a chance to open up logic today and see if I can find the panel (loop inspector I believe) that you're looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok. Now I remember. The place you showed, that's where you get the loops from and you can either take it as original key, or the song key (what you set the global key in)

Now, you have to cut the loop (copy and paste a piece drag it to length that you want the transposed part to be) and over on the upper left (where mine is) in the inspector (make sure you have the loop -section- you wish to transpose selected, and hover your mouse over the word 'transpose' and use either the + or the - key to raise or lower the key of that particular loop region.

I looked for a video that would better explain, this one is long winded, worth watching the whole thing to get pieces that may be helpful (a full view...) but the meat of this issue starts at 6:00 or so. Note, if you click on transpose it'll only give you octave options. hover your mouse over transpose (don’t click it just hover on the word) + or - to give you incremental key changes He doesn't mention this tidbit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CihZu_qXZjo

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did this work out?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi and thanks so very much. I will give this a try as soon as I get back to this project with a desire for loops. I just purchased and set up a Shure interface between my Roland RS9 and my trusty Mac. Having a blast laying down tracks from the Roland.

I will likely desire for a few loops within the next few days and will get back to you for sure. Meanwhile, onward for prosperity.

All this is keeping this 79 year old village elder from going crazy or turning back to drink during these colder months although I imagine Wisconsin is "Down South," Lake Ontario like more chilly than our western shore of `Lake Michigan,

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Groovetube!

That did it.

Your instructions worked and the You Tube video topped it off.

Merci and the time you spent in helping me is much appreciated.

Very best wishes,

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.