How to stop Quicken for Mac endless update reminders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
I have Quicken for Mac 2017 ver 4.6.7 on Mac OS Sierra. Every time I open the program, there is a pop-up "reminding" me to upgrade to the latest version. Closing that pop-up generates a second, similar pop-up. Does anyone here know of a way to turn these annoying pop-ups off? Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Use AdBlock Plus and Ghostery, both of which are available in Safari Preferences > Extensions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Not sure that Ghostery will do that, Harry. I think the popup is coming from within Quicken, not Safari, unless I misunderstood the OP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all for your thoughts. I have Firefox 57 with Ghostery and AdBlock (added today in response to harryb2448). Neither stops the pop-ups. As MacInWin suggests, these pop-ups seem to be coming from within Quicken itself. PM-r's links don't seem to work either. At a Quicken forum, a Quicken moderator explained that the pop-ups would be turned off soon (confirming that the company controls them), but he was not able (or willing?) to say when. Corporate execs have to make tough marketing decisions, I understand that. But speaking as a decades-old Quicken user, first on DOS, then Windows, and now Mac, being "reminded" to update to the new version EVERY TIME I open Quicken by two, count 'em two, back-to-back pop-ups, is rude, annoying, and unprofessional, and almost certainly the quickest way to drive me to switch to Checkbook Pro. Oh well.

Unrelated subject: I have used this forum often since switching from Windows to a MacBook Pro in 2011 (which developed cardiac issues, and prompted my switch to an iMac Retina with Sierra -- about which I can say only, respectfully, MBP RIP, but I LOVE this desktop!). I am more than sorry to see Mac Forums shut down. I look forward to Mac-Forums, as soon as the registration window is open for business.

Thank you again for responding to this question ... and to all my others ... and those of other members from which I have learned much as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EVERY TIME I open Quicken by two, count 'em two, back-to-back pop-ups, is rude, annoying, and unprofessional, and almost certainly the quickest way to drive me to switch to Checkbook Pro. Oh well.

With a quick trip to their site, I got to here:
https://www.quicken.com/support/mac/install-and-update#osx

That gives an option to go here:
https://www.quicken.com/support/how-update-quicken-mac

That page says and seems to indicate that there are options and I would assume that choosing "skip" or ignore, the nagging should stop. Assuming you don't actually want to update for some reason.

How to Update Quicken for Mac
Quicken for MacQuicken for Mac 2007 for LionQuicken for Mac 2015Quicken for Mac 2016
35 people found this helpful
Select the Quicken menu > Check for Updates...

If there is an update available, you will get a dialog box with what is included in the latest release and the option to

Skip This Version -- This is not recommended. The software update contains important fixes and enhancements that may impact you.
Remind Me Later -- If you chose this option, you will be reminded to update to the latest release of the software next time you open it.
Install Update -- This will install the latest update (recommended).

Does not this work for you???

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
EVERY TIME I open Quicken by two, count 'em two, back-to-back pop-ups, is rude, annoying, and unprofessional, and almost certainly the quickest way to drive me to switch to Checkbook Pro. Oh well.

Switch to Checkbook Pro and don't look back. Get rid of anything Intuit, burn it, rip it up, shred it, and then throw it away! Intuit support has the biggest bunch of arrogant (word is censored) that I have ever run into in the world of computing. They've been that way even way back in the early days of Windows. :Angry:

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That page says and seems to indicate that there are options and I would assume that choosing "skip" or ignore, the nagging should stop. Assuming you don't actually want to update for some reason.
Regrettably, the operative word there is "seems." (I am reminded of the still funny line from an early episode of the TV program "Everybody loves Raymond" where Debra, his wife-to-be, says, on meeting Ray's parents, "They seem nice," and he replies, "Yes, they seem nice.") I have not seen a Windows version of Quicken in a long time, but at the Quicken forum, Windows users complaining about this issue say that the option provided in the pop-up to check "Skip" and/or "Do not remind again" is ignored. Checked or not, the pop-up reappears each time Quicken is opened. In the Mac version that I use, an option to choose "Skip" is not even offered.

chscag, here is more than you probably want to know: When I first switched from Windows to Mac, I purchased Quicken Essentials for Mac (QEM). It was a weak app, but okay for my purposes (I use Quicken only to balance a checkbook). QEM was replaced by Quicken for Mac when Intuit sold it to ... someone. I don't know the details, but at the time I (like thousands, millions of others) received a pleasant email message explaining how great life was going to be in the new neighborhood. I purchased the new Quicken from the new guy, and it stank. Really stank. I got a refund, waved goodbye, and purchased Checkbook Pro. I like it. Then, the new owner of Quicken sent me (and thousands, millions of others) an email message, apologized for the first roll-out, said everything had been fixed, and please come back. Well, it sounded like they meant it, so I went back, and that's where I am now. Old habits die hard.

However, I still have Checkbook Pro on my Mac, I still like it, and now, as regards Quicken, I am sorely tempted to, as you put it so succinctly, burn it, rip it up, shred it, and then throw it away.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Switch to Checkbook Pro and don't look back. Get rid of anything Intuit, burn it, rip it up, shred it, and then throw it away!

Phew!!! No questioning that rather flaming remark is a bit hot to handle. :Mischievous:

But I will admit that they and their old Intuit owners sure cutoff and upset a lot of Canadian users when they even dropped Mac support for quite a while.
I haven't bothered to check if the 2016 owner change improved things but it sure doesn't sound like it.

PS: Thanks for the heads up in case I get asked from a client or Mac user.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What turned me off a long time ago is that many of us purchased the Windows version of TurboTax. That was during the days of Windows 3.0 and 3.1. Intuit in their idiotic way copy protected it. At the time, TurboTax was selling for around $12.95 and even less for the basic version. The copy protection actually installed a "root" protective scheme which caused all sorts of problems for users.

When confronted with what they did, they made all sorts of lame excuses and refused to remove the copy protection. They finally (after a battle) had to relent, offer refunds, and remove the copy protection scheme from people's PCs. The company may have changed hands several times, but their lousy support and poor attitude more or less remains the same. I could go on and mention what they did with the Mac versions of Quicken, but I think you understand.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't bothered to check if the 2016 owner change improved things but it sure doesn't sound like it.
To be fair, I need to stipulate that the current version of Quicken 2017 for Mac is nice (if you discount the "UPDATE!" pop-ups, which are a disgrace). It is certainly not as good as I remember Quicken for Windows being (chscag's disgust for Intuit notwithstanding), but it is good, and better than Intuit's own QEM was. The Transactions pages (inputting checks, deposits, etc) are very nice, and MUCH improved over the original version. (The original version issued after the purchase from Intuit was a disaster.) The Reports feature (Income & Expenses by selected categories over specific times) is okay but not as powerful or flexible as I (and others, judging from comments on forums) would like. I do not use the BillPay feature or the ability to download data directly from a bank account, so I can't speak to those. (Also, its Reports feature is more powerful than Checkbook Pro's, whose Reports feature I find to be weak, but maybe I need more experience with it.)

The new version about which the pop-ups are all about is Quicken 2018 for Mac (maybe for Windows, too ... I don't know). I have no idea whether that is an improvement or a worsening EXCEPT it is my understanding (from forums, not from the company) that it is "by subscription" (like Adobe has done to Photoshop, I guess). That is, you don't buy it, and then own it. You, well, rent it. One writer at one of the forums (there are lots of them) said that at the end of the subscription period, if a user did not re-up, the company would freeze the app. Sounds a bit like ransomware to me. I don't know if that is true (or possible), but I do know that no one else at the forum jumped in insisting "Nonsense!" It would definitely be a deal breaker for me; it was why I switched from Photoshop to Pixelmator (which I have come to love, but it took time).

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.